Author Topic: Help with ILF riser  (Read 406 times)

Offline JoeB

• Trad Bowhunter
Help with ILF riser
« on: November 02, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
I was given a nice piece of walnut that's just big enough to make two risers from. I'd like to try making an ILF riser so I can play around with the limbs from my oly style bow.

I've looked around and found ILF hardware, but I'm a little confused as to what parts I actually need.

I know I'll need the plate and the limb bolts, but I'm not sure which ones or about things like bushings.

Can anyone tell me exactly what parts I need to order from Trad Tech or Lancaster archery? If there is another source that's better, please let me know as well.I'm in Canada, if that matters.

Thanks

Joe

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help with ILF riser
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 06:07:00 PM »
The walnut will not be strong enough on its own to do ILF or any other takedown. You would need to laminate it with a stronger  wood or fiberglass accents.
High on Archery.

Offline JoeB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
I have some 3/4 thick red oak that I can laminate with. Will that do?

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
Not sayin it wont work but not your best choice. You need your strength in the sight window area and where you mount the hardware. Fiberglass accents will be the best maybe with the oak sandwiched between them. Osage would be a better choice.
High on Archery.

Offline JoeB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
Thanks Crooked Stic

I don't think I have the resources to use any kind of glass laminate and osage is pretty well impossible to find here, so I'll have to try the oak.

The riser I designed has an overall depth of 3 1/2 inches and its 2 inches wide at the widest point. If I sandwich the 3/4 oak between 2 pieces of 1 1/2 of walnut it will fall directly where the hardware will mount and at the front half (the half furthest from the string) of the shelf and sight window.

I hope this will suffice.

Offline grouse11

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
FYI, Glass lams in the riser do not need to be curved. If you can cut through the walnut straight, you can then just sandwich the oak and fiberglass between the two pieces of walnut and it'll be plenty strong.

Offline JoeB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
grouse11,

What exactly is this glass lam? where do I get it and what kind of adhesive will it need? I'm running a very low tech operation here  :)

Although I will have the wood cut on a table saw,I only have very basic woodworking tools at my disposal. Clamps, a workmate type bench, rasps, chisels, carving knives and lots of sandpaper and elbow grease. I've always gotten the most amount of satisfaction from doing things with as few power tools as possible.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©