Author Topic: Using Ash To Build My First Bow  (Read 543 times)

Offline Valkyrie

• Trad Bowhunter
Using Ash To Build My First Bow
« on: November 03, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
Was dead set on black locust but I have an abundance of ash. I found a 7-8 inch diameter tree. It is straight and talk. I cut it and have two logs about 7-8 inch diameter and each about 7 feet long. I haven't split it but I did paint the ends up. Just finished this. What are the next steps?  Split?  Looking for some ideas. I would like to end up with a 40# bow at my draw of 30 inches. And maybe an arrow shelf.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Using Ash To Build My First Bow
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
I would peel the bark carefully making sure not to nick or damage the surface just under the bark as this will be the back of your bow.  If the longitudinal grain runs straight on the halves you could split it again, but not necessary, could be done later.  If you are looking to get started on one you can lay out your bow on the back of one of the staves, rough it out slightly larger and thicker than the desired bow.  Put it in a basement or garage for a few weeks, then bring it into the house or a heated shop.  Weigh it every few days when it stops loosing weight, it should be ready to work.  All this being said, I have never worked ash, and assume it is handled like any of the other white woods.
I'm sure someone with more experience will be along to correct me if I'm wrong.

Offline Valkyrie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
Its infested with EABs.  Peeled back a little bark and it's eaten up.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 06:51:00 PM »
Your only option then is to chase a ring that is below the damage, don't know if that's even possible with ash.

Offline Valkyrie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 07:02:00 PM »
Gonna try to find some hickory. I though I saw a few trees near one of my treestands.

Offline Valkyrie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
I have a ton of oaks. White and red.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 06:21:00 AM »
Leave the ash alone, its junk. Get some Hophornbeam or hickory. Id highly suggest you wait until May to cut. The sap will be up and the bark will come right off. Whats left is a pristine back.

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 06:53:00 AM »
Where u at in pa? There is osage here too in certain areas of our great commonwealth...if not the woods pearl mentions should be top of your look for list...also elm saplings make a mean bow and good to learn on,and its real easy to find a pipe straight clean elm sapling...after those you'll be able to find white oaks in abundance,hard maple,black locust(chase a heartwood ring tho),and several more...tons of woods in pa to choose from

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 06:58:00 AM »
If the ash was still alive, it's probably just fine for bows.  EABs don't go deep.  I have made several ash bows and it likes flat bellies and wide limbs.

Oh yeah, burn the ash on site.  Don't move those little S.O.B.s (sons-of-borers) around  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 11:37:00 AM »
yeah burnt he ash ... kill the bugs .... celebrate with a beer ...

Offline Valkyrie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
I found another Ash.  Its nice and straight a little bit of a twist but no EAB's and I debarked and sealed up the ends.  Got three nice staves about 7' each.  The bark and cambium stripped off pretty easy and was easy to get right to the back of the bow.  Gonna let them dry until after the new year when hunting seasons are over and cabin fever sets in and looking for a 68" bow 35-40# that my wife can shoot too.   Still on the lookout for some hickory, my property was timbered a few years ago, I know there was plenty of good sized hickory.  I remember my grandfather teaching me shag bark and shell bark hickories up there when I was really small but they were cut out when we had it logged.  Should be some smaller trees around hopefully, I will have to keep looking.  Im preoccupied with deer right now though.  I have enough black locust to make enough bows to supply a small medieval army, I just read that locust is tough to work with?  Same with cherry.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©