Author Topic: pecan for a selfbow?  (Read 2284 times)

Offline wazabodark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: pecan for a selfbow?
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 10:24:00 PM »
I couldn't get those last pictures to come up so I'm going to post them again.    sorry if they're blurry. I had my nine year old take them.
Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
Test looks fine......again. Time to reduce your stave for a little drying time. I like to get my bow pretty close to working dimensions as possible and store it horizonally for a week or two in conditions that'll produce 6-8% MC for hickory. Temps between 70-80 degrees and humidity 30-40% will achieve that. You can pick up a temp/humidity gauge if you don't have one for about 10.00 bucks or less about anywhere.

So for a bow of 66" ntn and 50#, 1 3/4" width is plenty IMO. Handle width of 3/4" and 1 1/2" deep will work. For handle length, and if you use a full hand grip, 4" centered is fine (2" up from center for arrow pass). For a medium grip make the handle length 5" (1 1/2" up from center for arrow pass).

From there, handle fades, 3" or so. Handle flares (sides), 1 1/2"-2". from the end of the handle fades, parallel the limbs out 1/3 the limb's length. Side taper to tips from there.

So let me explain my reasoning for this particular limb design. First, your stave has a moderate amount of reflex. That requires a certain
amount of paralleled limb to handle the added reflex stress. Second, with the longer side taper, it'll allow you more room to rid yourself of the bug damage.

Most people like to tiller a bow out on the tillering board/tree. I do things a little different and "apply a taper" instead of tillering for it on a tree. So that's what I'm going to explain to you since you're an "old carpenter" too!

OK, you have your limbs shaped, now you need to apply a belly taper to achieve the proper bend. This will more or less be finished dimensions so allow some leeway on the rough-out. So get out your framing square for this.

Right at the handle fades, lay your square on the back of the bow, riding the exact crown of the back, mark 9/16" on the side. Now step your square down to the 1/3 mark and mark the side 1/2" (square on crown of the back). From there, carry the 1/2" mark all the way to the tip. Now mark the other side of the limb the same. Using your pencil, now scribe the sides and join the marks.

If things go your way, little tillering will be needed to achieve the proper bend. Only weight reduction/wood removal out to your draw length is required. But if any extra tillering is required, it'll be at mid-limb where weight drop-off is less, than say inner limb.

So get busy, rough out your bow, dry properly, and it's a piece of cake after that. Good luck........Art

Offline wazabodark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
Finally found some time to start roughing out my stave today. While doing so I noticed this dip  . Most of the stave is fairly uniform in its thickness butbin this spot, where the black "x" is and between the black lines, it drops off a good 5/16"from the center line to the edge of the bow. Can this be over come? I was by no means expecting the stave to be dimensionally perfect, but this seems fairly dramatic. Also, the vast majority of the natural reflex is in one limb (the same one as the dip). Should I plan on this being the top or bottom limb, or does it matter?

Offline wazabodark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Finally found some time to start roughing out my stave today. While doing so I noticed this dip  . Most of the stave is fairly uniform in its thickness butbin this spot, where the black "x" is and between the black lines, it drops off a good 5/16"from the center line to the edge of the bow. Can this be over come? I was by no means expecting the stave to be dimensionally perfect, but this seems fairly dramatic. Also, the vast majority of the natural reflex is in one limb (the same one as the dip). Should I plan on this being the top or bottom limb, or does it matter?

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 08:46:00 AM »
Just scribe the side of that dip area like the rest of the limb, rough shape your limb, then let the growth rings on the belly guide you from there.........Art

Offline wazabodark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
Finished roughing out the bow. It's about four days into the.drying process, so there's not much to do but wait. That's actually killing me a little bit. What do ya'll do while waiting on a stave to dry? I may have some questions about arrow building before too long. Anyway, here's some pics.   . How's it looking?

Offline wazabodark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
Trying again. Can you tell I'm not a big tech guy?  

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 04:38:00 PM »
Lots you can do while it's drying. Clean it's back up. Round all edges good. Get your handle to a finished state. Cut your string nocks in. Make a string. Even if this bow fails, and it's just an IF, all the above is good experience.

Personally, I think it's high time we put arrows back in "bows&arrows. So learn arrow-making skills right along side bow making. One is useless without the other..........Art

Offline wazabodark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
Just a quick question. I've some old whitetail antlers laying around and I was thinking about using them to reinforce the string nocks. Is this a good idea? If so, what's the best way to shape them? Would a Dremel work?

Offline bigcountry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
You want to use the outside of antlers, Inside is spongy.  I use files to shape.  Dremel can be dangerous.  They shape real fast with wood files, 50grit paper.

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
I do a lot of mine with antlers. Like Bc said, use files instead of dremels. Super glue gel works fine for gluing them down. I use a large double cut flat bastard to rough shape, a small double cut to dress that, and then a scraper/sandpaper from there..........Art

Offline wazabodark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
This is a little unrelated, but I just got my first two spools of B50 in the mail. Can anyone direct me to an idiot proof Flemish twist tutorial?

Offline wazabodark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
This is a little unrelated, but I just got my first two spools of B50 in the mail. Can anyone direct me to an idiot proof Flemish twist tutorial?

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »
Originally posted by wazabodark:
http://poorfolkbows.com/flemish1.htm
Quinn Stallion Classic 40# @ 29"
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline Larrydawg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
I have a nice bow made of pecan. Pecan is the Largest of the Hickory Family. my wife shoots it as I over tillered it and now it comes in around 37#. it is the bow that I brag about shooting a spider with at 10yds on a bet with witnesses!!
 when you cut pecan to make a stave from( most any white wood) you peel the bark off while its green. this makes the back of the bow.
Hedgeapple
Bear Kodiak Magnum 50th anniversary 50#@28in.
Shakespere Ocala 50@28 in (1972)
Locksley Puma 45#@28 (1952)
several osage Bows, and every recurve bow ive owned since I started archery at age 6 (45 yrs)

Offline wazabodark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »
You must have missed that Poorfolk link that Flyboy posted...........Art

Offline wazabodark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2013, 04:07:00 PM »
No. I didn't miss it. I can't figure out why I have so many double posts. But I've already been to the sight and it was just what I needed to see. Thanks Flyboy.

Offline Flyboy718

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by wazabodark:
No. I didn't miss it. I can't figure out why I have so many double posts. But I've already been to the sight and it was just what I needed to see. Thanks Flyboy.
Your welcome!  Keep the pictures of the bow coming along...I have access to basically an unlimited supply of pecan.  Where in Texas are you?
Quinn Stallion Classic 40# @ 29"
Quinn Stallion 50# @ 28"
Quinn Comet XL 30# @ 28"

Offline wazabodark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
I'm in New Braunfels. About 15 miles north of San Antonio on 35. And since I have the attention of a fellow Texan let me ask: why do these fellas keep referring to bodarks as "osage"? Do they not know the difference between a tribe and a tree? (Just kiddin' guys).

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©