Author Topic: air hose form??  (Read 339 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
air hose form??
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
building my new kennym form, last one i built was a binghams kit, so just did as told    :D  

but now on the new one, as i gather all the bits, is it necessary to have a smooth surface on the bottom face of the mold- ie the good face, the side that the formica strip is glued on for the binghams kit - not the airhose face.
and the metal "pressure strip- is that needed.

i am building the form using a router- so smooth surfaces shouldnt be a problem

thanks all

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: air hose form??
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 08:58:00 PM »
The smoother you can get the surface the better - router smooth and also the formica strip.  Any bumps will show up in the finished bow.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
ok- gotcha
now to find some formica on this island
thanks

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 10:08:00 PM »
If you cant find formica you can also use some .040 parallels.
High on Archery.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
even harder to find   :)  
i found some "oak veneer" on a roll- smooth- used for edges of plywood etc, about 1/16" thick- so will go to the only hardware store on island tomorrow to check it out.
is the metal pressure strip a necessity??- does it make a difference?
thanks.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
The metal pressure strip goes on top of the bow to spread the pressure from hose. Otherwise it will really squeeze it in the center of limb.  So , yes for best results....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
roger that!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 12:23:00 AM »
just re read your post crooked stic- i think i misunderstood- when you say 040 parallels- you are talking glass, or can i grind down an 040 parallel from something like hickory or something similar??
thanks
wayne

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
I have only made 3 forms myself. I built all 3 using a router table and a 2 inch pattern bit and template. I used black 040 fiberglass on the glue surface, a 040 wood parallel should work well too..I like the hard surface of fiberglass myself. I use "3M high strength 90" spray glue to glue the glass strip to the form. It does cost more to build a form this way.. but I am worth it...

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 08:23:00 AM »
I also use a galvanized metal pressure strip..I wax it and the form before every glue up. I use 0.7 mill plastic painters drop cloth cut into a 8 inch wide strip over the waxed form surface to further protect the form from epoxy squeeze out..I also put 2 layers between fire hose and metal pressure strip at glue up.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
I've use Formica, a fiberglass strip, hard rubber and nothing on my forms. The last couple I built using a router I just filled any voids in the plywood with bondo- and sanded smooth. I wax the form and cover with plastic wrap before glue up and have had no issues. As stated above- any imperfections on the form face will transfer to the bow.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 09:21:00 AM »
Yeah parallels like you use in the bow limb is all I have ever used. I do the bondo thing to the plywood surface for voids and any low spots before putting the parallel down.
High on Archery.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 09:44:00 AM »
thanks fellas, great help all round.
everything takes way, way longer to get up to us here in the far north,we only get post here twice a week, not many ferrys run out here to the islands, and then they nail us on duties too!!

my go to snakey osage bow has started to fail on me, and with only 3 months left in the hunting season, i have got to build a new bow or two in a hurry, and always wanted to build a kennym- so here goes.

thanks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©