Author Topic: Help please!  (Read 663 times)

Offline cosgood

• Trad Bowhunter
Help please!
« on: November 28, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
I'm not sure if this post is in the right place, but I'm torn.

I recently purchased a Black Creek Banshee Takedown with both recurve and longbow limbs from the big site. I received the bow a couple days ago. I opened the package to inspect everything and noticed a problem. The riser has a hairline crack between the laminations close to the limb bolt insert. It is hard to separate the crack far enough to slide a piece of paper in. But my concern is what happens if I string this up and it splits. I tried the number I use to have for Jim Gainey, but it's not valid.

I would really like to know if this can be repaired or epoxied and who might be able to help. It is a beautiful bow and would like to keep it instead of giving it to the USPS inspector, never to be seen again.

I will upload pics as soon as I can.

Thanks in advance, Chad
Black Creek Siren 53@28"
Black Creek Banshee TDR/TDLB 50@28"
Pawtucket Custom 50@28"

US Army Military Police 1996-2007

Offline cosgood

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Creek Siren 53@28"
Pawtucket Custom 50@28"

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help please!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »
I would send that right back to the seller ASAP and would expect a full refund.

Offline cosgood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
I contacted the seller and they said it hadn't occurred on their end. I made it clear that it could have easily been overlooked. They will not refund and said take it up with USPS.
Black Creek Siren 53@28"
Pawtucket Custom 50@28"

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
that kind of damage would not result with shipping. You're getting into legal territory, but I would open a case through the auction site and say the item is not as described. My unerstanding is the auction site tends to favor buyer.

Offline SportHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 06:15:00 PM »
I don't believe a crack at that location happened in transit. Looks like a high stress point failure. Protest with **** or PayPal. Was the shipping box beat up?

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 06:52:00 PM »
First thought was a dry fire to cause that crack... If you end up keeping it get some loctite 420 and that should fix it.

Offline cosgood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 07:33:00 PM »
The box and all other contents were all OK. I was pretty sure it didn't occur during shipping, too. I even sent the seller photos to prove my theory and they wont budge. I'm just afraid that I will have to take it to the post office and have it inspected and/or confiscated. I appreciate all your thoughts.
Black Creek Siren 53@28"
Pawtucket Custom 50@28"

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Without the package being damaged the USPS won't pay.
Your only choice if you want to pursue a claim is with the site.

Is it actually a crack or a glue joint coming apart?
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
Looks like the glue line from where I'm sitting....if it was new from the builder I'm stunned and appalled that they would not warranty that to further it claim that its not there fault is total bs    :nono:   not a good way to run a businesses or make a good name for themselves imho

Offline cosgood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
It is definitely the glue joint. New to me, not brand new. It was built by Jim Gainey in 2011. I own another of his bows and it is top notch. He did honor his warranties, but he is no longer in business. He helped me out on my Siren.
Black Creek Siren 53@28"
Pawtucket Custom 50@28"

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 12:10:00 PM »
Unfortunately I think your only recourse is going to be through **** or PayPal. Do it sooner rather than later. And DO NOT try to fix it or shoot it or string it at all until this is resolved.

Good luck.

Lastly, I would probably request in my case that the seller reverse the transaction and/or take up insurance with USPS themselves. Not sure if this is the buyers or sellers responsibility but I'd be shocked if it wasn't clearly outline in the undoubtedly very lengthy and comprehensive user agreements. Get cracking on that dispute, it's the only way out.

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
If you bought it on the big auction site and paid with Paypal you should definitely file a dispute with their Resolution Center.  I haven't had to deal with a damaged item, but I've had two instances where the item was never shipped to me and Paypal refunded my money after I filed disputes.
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline 7 Lakes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
Just so you'll know it is the shipper that insured the bow, hopefully.  It will be up to him to file a claim.  I doubt seriously if it was done in transit.  

I would also appreciate it if you pm'd me the sellers name.  It's possible I know him and may be able to help a bit.
Mike

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
Chad................

File a grevience with Pay-Pal because the dammage was not disclosed prior to the sale. I filed a grievence with Pay-Pal after a similar experience and they got my money back quickly.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
That crack is probably the reason for selling it and hoping they could pass it off on someone else.If you had of strung and it broke they could of said you did it!

Offline M.Kerry Bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 12:42:00 AM »
That's why I don't like oily woods in my bows like bacote and cocobollo. Even after soaking the parts in acetone and letting them dry before glue up I've had separations down the road like your bow is showing. I'm sure the seller knew about that crack and he needs yo make right.

Offline cosgood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
Thank you all for your input. I ended up keeping the bow and took your advise Trux. That Loctite 420 stuff is awesome. I filled in the gaps and let it set for 48 hours. Its like there was never a problem there. Shot a hundred or so arrows through her tonight with no issues. Thanks again, I'm a happy man!
Black Creek Siren 53@28"
Pawtucket Custom 50@28"

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
Sounds great...

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2014, 01:56:00 AM »
Glad things worked out with you ending up with a shootable bow. When it is all said and done I guess that is what matters most. Although I think it stinks if someone was trying to pass off a bow that had issues.
As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©