Author Topic: Cost to build a bow  (Read 958 times)

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
Cost to build a bow
« on: December 10, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
Once you have all the stuff built that you need like a form and a heat box, what is an average cost to build a laminated recurve or longbow.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cost to build a bow
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 07:55:00 PM »
Depends on whether or not you grind your own laminations or order them.  If you order them, you'll have about $125 - $175 in materials depending on how exotic you go with woods for laminations and riser.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
Also depends what type of bow. Absolute bare minimum, 2 pieces of glass, and 2 pairs of lams (I guess you could even get away with one lam for a hill bow). Lets say you made the riser from scrap off of hardwood pallets or something ... I think it's like $20/ glass and maybe $15minimum for each pair of lams.

So maybe $70 plus glue etc.

If you grind your lams, maple or cherry is pretty cheap, probably a lam costs like $1 to make.

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 08:16:00 PM »
Ok great. I am really looking forward to starting on my first one after the holidays. Hopefully followed by several more.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
Little Ben,
Don't forget the cost of the machinery sanders, bandsaw to make those lams.
Runs that cost way up.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
Yep.  Number of lams is obviously a factor.  I was thinking the 4 lam longbows I typically build.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 09:10:00 PM »
I have a 12" bandsaw, and a router.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Other than wood and glass there are Shop supplies.. sand paper, sanding sleeves for my spindle Sander, paper for my mouse sander, belts for belt sander, band saw blades, nock files, spray finish, ,acetone, denatured alcohol,masking tape. Glue, smooth on, plastic wrap, etc...cost me at least $200 to build a one piece bow with pretty veneers. I don't grind tapers I buy them, I do cut my veneers and riser blocks

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
i wonder if you could grind lams with a router- CAREFULLY!!!, a sled, a good fence and running from the correct side.
dont be disillusioned , the guys are just being very practical- all the stuff they need, and thats all true- but a lot of it is quite affordable, some of the stuff you might have already, and the tools will all be multi-functional.
buy lams for you first one or two.
there are some great plans on here for mini lam grinders, they can even be done on a press drill, and i bet they could be done on the router too.

look at the rigid combo belt/spindle/disc sander- seems like an awesome tool. i dont have one- but would love one!!
i am just really getting into the glass bows myself, having built self bows and laminated bows for a few years now- its an exciting journey!!!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
heck, build your wife a few cutting boards- can never have enough cutting boards... then you could buy all the tools you need   :D    :D

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
I had not really thought of all that extra stuff. I have about 400 dollars. Hopefully I will have enough to get the first one built.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
go for it!!!!!

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2013, 10:22:00 PM »
By the time I got all the stuff I needed to make a decent bow, I could have ordered 3 really nice customs  :)  Mine still are nowhere close to some of the artistic creations some of you guys make, but I wouldn't trade em for any I've seen.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
Oh, I forgot to include the $ for the string..I buy them from the pro string makers. I tried making one once....

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
I have built several longbows with almost no power tools.  I cut my first limb profile with a hack saw with the frame bent in a 45 degree angle.  A farriers rasp and lesser rasps and files to shape the riser.  Cut out the sight window with the bent hacksaw.  I took the limb edges down to final shape with a file running it lengthwise up and down the limbs but soon discovered the value of a piece of wood about ten inches long with 60 grit sandpaper glued to it.

Cut the riser fades in rough with a coping saw.  Only thing I used power on was to feather the fades on a drum sander.  You could do that by hand too with some care and patience.

DO NOT USE YOUR BAND SAW TO CUT THE FIBERGLASS!!!  It will smoke your blade in about three inches  :eek:    

If you order instructions and a kit to build a basic longbow from Binghams you will be off to a good start.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »
All ya need is a hatchet and a woods nearby to fell a sapling to make a real bow    :thumbsup:

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Black Mockingbird:
All ya need is a hatchet and a woods nearby to fell a sapling to make a real bow     :thumbsup:  
Dang, I must be shooting ghost bows or sumpin.   :eek:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
Where you live is prime Osage country. Find a tree to cut down, split it into staves and let dry for a few months and your bow won't cost you anything.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
Since I grind my own lams, the least I've ever paid for a bow was a little under $30.

It was 60 long, and 1" wide at the fades. Fast as any other bow, but plain looking.
 I used a 2" strip of .030 ul glass ($9.50, since I buy in bulk)  I used a $17.00 hickory wheel barrow handle from Ace hardware for the lams and riser. About $0.75 worth of smooth-on,  About $0.50 in string material.

So it cost me around $27.75
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
On another note, if I would add up the cost to build my bow shop, and the cost of all the toys, oop's tools, I've bought. I'd say my bows cost about $500.00 a piece:) LOL

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©