Author Topic: totally fiber glass limb bow  (Read 679 times)

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
totally fiber glass limb bow
« on: December 16, 2013, 08:32:00 AM »
hi friends...

here i have found a video on youtube which an indian boy (i think) is making fiber glass limb take down bow.

it is interesting...

i know it is not trad but worth to watch it.

and also inspring about how primitive tools he is using...

best.
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Online Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: totally fiber glass limb bow
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 09:48:00 AM »
Interesting. Who needs all the power tools   ;)  
He said he needed more practiice, I thought his shooting was pretty good and with a stone wall behind.   :scared:    Bue--.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
unbelievable how much we take for granted!!
a young man like that needs a step up in life- wouldnt it be awesome to put together a bow making kit for him, and ship it to him, with some lams etc- just simple but good solid woods- nothing fancy.
some good basic hand tools. check the half round file he used to shape the riser with!!!
a whole bunch of us, could each contribute something.
a fella like that, with that much motivation and initiative needs an opportunity to do something with it!

well spotted inky   :clapper:

Offline Rays Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 04:40:00 AM »
Fujimo,
Can you figure out how to get the goods to him.  I would be in if you take care of lagistics.
Ray
I enjoy the woods taking game is the icing on the cake.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
i will look into it for sure- might need somebody else to make contact with him on you tube- as i cant seem to do it- tried but failed- gotta be registered on line somehow- cant get it done up in the sticks here- may have something to do with our internet supply.
wayne

would anybody else be interrested in putting something together- if we can get it organised- some simple riser woods, glass, files , rasps,airhose and ends, epoxy, old shafts and trimmings, old tabs/gloves and unused quivers, or even some money towards the shipping.

i think the gear to build a take down recurve would be easiest( smallest form etc)- and he seems to like 'em.

i could throw in a binghams recurve pattern and video, maybe some yew lams- maybe say for a 40# bow. or even two sets of lams- i dunno!
i have lots of leather trimmings( being a saddle builder)- so could send through for arm-guards and tabs etc- i have lots of raw shafting too( spruce)
what spine would be best??- never built a recurve.

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
I would not even get the idear on starting a bow with his equipment... man we`re so gifted around here- his tools would mostly have ended up in my bin already...
Maybe you`ll get in contact via FB  https://www.facebook.com/yusuf.abdulloh.96
Guess he`s it?!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
will try that

say... how did you get his face book add, just want to be sure its the same guy- dont want to be contacting the wrong guy- could be kinda weird!!!
thanks moeman!!

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »
Did a search on his name and the dude looks similar to his yt avatar... but those "eastern guys" look close as similar each other as asians^^

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
and both his names are quite common names over there- kinda like john brown here!   :D

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 06:29:00 PM »
but i will give it a shot- and try!
thanks

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
I feel guilty for ordering my drum sanders and other things for Christmas. Well, not really. An inspiring video to say the least.

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
Now that was amazing. And his bow was quiet!!
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Online Buemaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 07:39:00 AM »
I think it is a splended idea to help out this guy. If  some of you from the US side of the pond would take care of the material, glue, Bingham pattern, etc. bit I would gladly contribute with some new basic tools. Like rasp,file, round nock file, small wood plane, scraper, sandpaper.
Would need his email, home adress, if he would accept such a gift and if he consider it safe to send such things, I am thinking if there is corrupt custom officers who would pocket the goods.
At the very least give the man the link to TG link to Bowyer's Bench. Bue--.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 07:46:00 AM »
Looks like he's doing just fine to me.  If someone would have videod me making my first bow with a machete, hatchet and butcher knife they may have thought I needed a bowmaking package  :)

It's like in the cartoon "Nemo" where the turtle "dad" lets his son ride the current solo.  Let us see what he does, dude.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
yup good point John, but not trying to neccesarily "assist" from a position of condescending charity( and i know- thats not what you were sayin') just thought that a guy who shows that much initiative, that maybe some basic materials and basic tools might be greatly appreciated- judging by what he has available. a little assistance might not go amiss!

i wish i had , had a little( just a little knowledge- if nothing else) help when i tried to build my first bow as a young lad- i spent weeks with a spokeshave, only to have it fail 'cos i shaped the back as well as the belly- i didnt know any better- i didnt get back into bow building for 30+ years- this site is what helped me more than anything else-

will certinally be getting the link to him, as soon as i make contact Bue.

many thanks all
wayne!

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 05:55:00 AM »
well,

when i am posting this link i was not thinking of this...

in any case we all started up at different level and we have grove up somehow.  some of us were lucky to have big big tools some of us not so lucky.

this guy, probably is an indian. i am just guessing it out of his accent. and i know that big part of india is very poor. probably this guy as well.

i have checked his other posts on youtube and found that he has intention for bow building and archery. at this point i do not know what to do, honestly.

me as a personal idea, instead of giving a fish to a  poor, teaching a fishing is much more better idea.

shipping him some tools and materials looks like good thing to do. but hey, gentleman we have to think of the other side of the coin. it might be offending too.

again my brain stops here and do not know what to do...

i was just saying that before doing any action we have to think of the results very carefully.

and one more comment: i am agree with fujimo, this site helped me a lot of things about bowyering and keep teaching me a lot of stuff...

best.
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2013, 06:32:00 AM »
Wow! Inspiring for sure. I will feel better in my shop today.
My favorite line was when he had the riser cut out and started showing us how to shape it with a 4" rasp.

"...and of coarse you have to be patient."

Love it!
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
hey Ink- i share you concerns-and i understand that was not your intention when posting this video- just out of curiosity and interest.

i am originally from south africa, and moved here a few years ago- i worked all over souther africa, zambia, zimbabwe namibia travelled to mozambique etc, and lived in a very rural area in s.a.- so my point is i have seen lots of poverty- poverty so bad that people are dying from lack of food, never mind a lack of medical attention or war or other reasons. i have seen people cooking the inner bark off trees to eat!!

i have seen incredible enginuity- people making musical instruments out of oil cans, seen a guy build a new head gasket for a volkswagon carravelle, sitting on his butt in nhe sand with a hammer and a rock for an anvil. they drove that vehicle back home at least 5000 km!!

anyway my point is...when a person shows such great initiative and desire...it would be great to assist.

but you are absolutely correct  Inksoup!!one doesnt want to create an attitude of condescending charity.
more of just "a pass it along" assistance.

not saying we need to flood him with extravagant gifts- just some stuff to help him along, and maybe some stuff that he cant find locally- like air hose and  ends, smooth on ,etc- maybe his first set of lams- just to get him going, maybe some plans for a home built lam grinder.

and certinally the link to this here site!!!!

and maybe a condition that he pays it forward in some small way. i also watched his other videos, and he does seem very determined with limited resources to build bows!
i am sure there are heaps of people out there struggling to get along- heck i was one of them as a kid in africa- and failed to get a bow built as a kid. and just understand what he is going through- would sure like to pass along some of the help that i have recieved later in life.- the only difference , is that he actually has built a few functioning bows already!!

anyway this will all depend on what everyone else feels---still trying to make contact with him.

Offline rich k

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2013, 06:04:00 PM »
That is one inspiring bowyer. I would be glad to help but not sure how. In any event, before anyone sends him an air hose - does he have a compressor? Will any power tool sent work with whatever electrical system is available?
Fujimo - I am traveling for the next few months so supplies are limited but can help with some $ for shipping. Let me know if you get a package together.
Rich k
"Aim at squirrel - miss squirrel. Aim at squirrel's eye - hit squirrel's head"  Native American expression.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 10:28:00 AM »
Thanks rich- yer a champ.
I made contact with Yusuf, and he is a member on here now, I will keep chatting to him and see if we can be of some help to him, and if he even would want any help ..don't want to offend the fella!!!
He is from Indonesia , and works in the electronics industry.
Think he could use a foot/ hand pump to air  the hose, and was thinking more just some quality hand tools...he doesn't seem afraid of patient physical labor- but this is a group thing, so also whatever you guys think/say.
Great times to all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©