Author Topic: Carbide band saw blade  (Read 266 times)

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
Carbide band saw blade
« on: December 18, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
Just wondering if it's worth the money 130 $$ and will it hold up for cutting horn, phenolic, and glass.  Now I'm running a 3/4 4tpi woodslicer.  

Thanks Shawn

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbide band saw blade
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 06:17:00 PM »
I've heard good reviews.
You certainly would need to be making a decent return on your projects to make or worth it.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 06:21:00 PM »
Shawn,
The woodslicer is what I like to use to cut lams and veneer. If you try to turn the slightest radius though, it will take the life out of the blade. But for $30 odd dollars it is a decent buy if you want to maximize some slicing.

The carbon will last a longtime cutting horn/phenolic. I do not think these items are that bad to work with using a standard blade. JMHO.
Glass will eat a blade as you know and I think that a carbon blade will cut a lot of glass but it will not be that good for wood after a few cuts. Again. my opinion.
I cut wood and grind glass. I buy regular blades and try to be careful. I get some miles out of them most times. I like Lenox and Timbewolf best.
I do buy my share of General purpose blades though.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
If you are going to cut glass then you need to have a blade just for that. I can buy almost 6 bi-metal blades foe $130 bucks. One starts to dull them use it for glass. A carbide may hold up for one or the other. But already said if it touches glass it aint gonna cut wood very good after.
High on Archery.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 08:06:00 PM »
Chuck I hear ya bud.  I buy the woodslicers half dozen at a time for veneering and cutting bamboo.  I dont have room to run two saws anymore.  Thats what I'm really trying to do is one saw and blade for both re-sawing and radiusing  risers.  The only time I cut glass is when its in footed risers.  

Those 3/4 woodslicers are dang good blades and last a long time for re-sawing.

Thanks

Online Horsey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 07:02:00 AM »
I use Lennox Tri-Master carbide tipped blades (3TPI)with good success on wood and fiberglass.  I have cut out over 60 bows with one blade.  Even at $130/Blade, that is still great value.  Hint: Buy the 1/2" blade and not the 3/8".  The 3/8" blade is thicker and will weaken and break when using smaller bandsaws (14").

--Mike

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
I cut glass with my old blades and even re-sharpen them sometimes to cut more glass. The only glass I cut with the bandsaw is in the risers (roughing out the fades). For ripping glass I use my tablesaw with a cheap fine tooth carbide blade.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
I called highlands wood working today and he said for ripping off .030 veneers the woodslicer has a smoothest cut out of the blades they sell.  Lenox and woodslicer.  

So I'll keep the same blades.  Thanks guys.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
I've used all of the above, I'm still using the Diemaster II by Lennox for lam work. Just refuse to cut glass!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »
Impeccable timing bud.  I couldn't remember what you used.  I knew you'd chime in after I ordered.    Maybe next time I can step up and get a diemaster II.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »
The diemaster II is around 30.00 so it is higher, but not like a carbide. Plus it has less kerf....
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 06:35:00 AM »
Gotcha.  The wood slicer and die master are real close then.  Thanks bud

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©