Author Topic: Amped up for Bow Swap 2014  (Read 805 times)

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Amped up for Bow Swap 2014
« on: December 19, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
Don't know about you guys but I'm fired up about 2014 swap. As a first timer last year it was great seeing all of you guys busting your humps to get awesome bows built and sent.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Amped up for Bow Swap 2014
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
Well Cory, if you're so amped up, why don't you get started on another for me.    :laughing:  

Awesome Bow!

>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 04:08:00 AM »
I recently read through that 2013 swap thread, and I'm impressed with all the great craftsmanship that was displayed. Great job everyone! I hope to participate soon, but my skills are not quite up to the challenge yet. Maybe 2015.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 04:41:00 AM »
re:  Pheonixarcher

here is the idea is not the challenge but share  :)  see you in 2014...
use the force....
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »
Paul, if you've read through the thread you've seen that the group includes beginning and experienced bowyers.  Don't wait, what you learn by pushing yourself in the swap is amazing.  There'll be a lot of help available.  The only thing I would suggest is don't procrastinate just in case you need to go to plan b.  Or like some of us, plan f or g.  -Dave
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by jsweka:
Well Cory, if you're so amped up, why don't you get started on another for me.     :laughing:    

Awesome Bow!

I've shot that bow.  I'm going to talk to Kelly and see if I can't make sure Cory gets my name this year!
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »
I was little afraid Dave was going to sneak it into the back of his car and drive off  ;)
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline cunruhshoot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
When does the fun begin? And how do we get signed up? I am so ready to participate in 2014...
As Iron sharpens Iron so one person sharpens another...Prov. 27:17

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
There will be a sign up thread sometime around the first of the year.  KelleyG and Sticks-n-Strings have been organizing past swaps.  Stay tuned.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
John had a great time building your bow last year. Dave I'd be glad to build ya one this year, we'll just have to see how the chips fall. I've refined the design a little and I'm pretty happy with it, now I just need to decide on 1 or 3 piece.

Cory

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
Cory -

Have you designed a static recurve yet?
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 12:15:00 AM »
Mitch, I'm actually remaking my form over the holidays. I built one a while back but had a touch to much deflex for my liking. I will have her ready to go by the start of the swap for sure. The last one wasn't bad but I wasn't getting full use of the limb profile with my 28.75 draw, would have worked great for a 32 inch draw though.

Cory

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 12:48:00 AM »
Man, I'm ready.  Last year was my first, and I'm ready for another go.  Already getting ideas together for my victim, whomever it may be.  Thinking of maybe making a new form - something in a shorty 52" recurve?  Or go with a new 3-piece design?  Or the old standby R/D?  Okay, so maybe I have more than a few ideas  :)
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »
I'd really like to participate this year, but I'm still refining my process. I've had a lot of bumps along the way, but my current project shows some promise. If I do enter into the fun, I'll pretty much only have one option for a build, as I've only got the one form, and have next to nothing with experience with it. It's a good design, but that really limits my build capabilities. I'm experimenting with tapers and such now, so hitting draw weight and length may prove a bit difficult. I appreciate the encouragement, but we'll have to see what progress I can make in the next month or so.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
Cory - looking forward to seeing one out of the form - I really like the one piece recurves for some reason.  Not that I don't like the longbow from you    :D   I love shooting it too!!

Have a Merry Christmas and don't spend all your time in the shop!

Mitch
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
Phoenix I agree with everybody else. Dont wait just jump in it bit like it was said before dont procrastinate start early. Look towardto seeing ya in the swap

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 06:54:00 PM »
For all those who think they are not good enough. That is what this swap is for. Stiks stared it about 4 yrs ago now to allow novice like him and myself a chance to see what right looks like and to get honest critique of our work. And what that means is you ship a bow you would be proud to own. Also I will call stiks after Christmass and see when he wants to start her up. Plus look at our rules and some of the suggested and see if it work and keeps it simple.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2013, 06:55:00 PM »
Phoenix I agree with everybody else. Dont wait just jump in it bit like it was said before dont procrastinate start early. Look towardto seeing ya in the swap

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »
Like Kelly said these bow trades are for anyone that wants to enter. If you do the best you can your recipient will be proud to receive the bow you made for him(or her).   We've been doing these bow trades on PA for quite a few years now and they are always successful and most everyone involved enjoys them also but remember it isn't about "the bow you might receive" but the bow you will put your heart and soul into for your recipient.
   These bow trades are about challenging yourself to build the best bow you are capable of and sending it out to your recipient with pride and the pleasure of giving.  We have folks involved that have been building bows for many years and some that have just recently started building bows but if the spirit of giving is in your heart the bow trade is a success.  
  A few years ago myself and a few others helped Kelly build his first bow...when he was in Iraq (I think)with little to no bow wood or tools. Kelly had the desire and used his ingenuity and scrounged up tools and even some wood. He did his heat corrections with the exhaust from a generator...and now he is running the TG Bow Trade.
 These trades are all about the spirit of giving and brotherhood. If you enjoy giving to others, join in. If you need help building a bow for your recipient you have all of us to help you along your journey.
  There is always a few guys that leave it until the end then try to rush through the process. Sometimes that works but usually not...and that method is not in the spirit of giving. Get started now. Have a few staves ready at floor tiller stage so when you get the info about your recipient you already have a heads start. Next to impatience, procrastination is the bow builders worst enemy.
    I skipped last years trade because I knew I didn't have to time to start or finish a bow for it.  I'll be getting in this year and want to encourage anyone that wants to enter to do so but please be in the right frame of mind for it when you decide to enter.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©