Author Topic: Re-laminating a recurve - A reasonable DIY project?  (Read 259 times)

Offline menatkin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re-laminating a recurve - A reasonable DIY project?
« on: December 22, 2013, 10:55:00 AM »
I am the owner of a Groves TD. The limbs had been painted over by a previous owner, and the owner before me started removing the paint (using light sanding with a fine grit). I discovered why the limbs were painted in the first place. The glass lams had started to delaminate (the bow got wet at ETAR, accelerating the process).  Instead of merely relegating the bow to the wall, I'd like to see it repaired and restored to its former glory.

I have a fair bit of woodworking experience, but nearly no fiberglass experience. Is this a task I might be able to tackle on my own? Are there gotchas I should consider?

Thanks!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
72" HH Wesley Special
70" HH Robin Hood
66" Bear Tigercat
68" Les Howis Portland
Grozer Mongol

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Re-laminating a recurve - A reasonable DIY project?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
There is a build along that might help. You may have to register to get the pdf file.
  Delam fix
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline menatkin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Re-laminating a recurve - A reasonable DIY project?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »
Thanks very much for the quick and informative post! That looks like a significantly larger issue than I'm facing (though I'm not sure. I'll take some pictures and post them up here when I get the chance. Perhaps I'm over-thinking this, and all I need to do is refinish the limbs?
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
72" HH Wesley Special
70" HH Robin Hood
66" Bear Tigercat
68" Les Howis Portland
Grozer Mongol

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©