Author Topic: First Laminated bow build Need Help  (Read 224 times)

Offline kybowhunter2

• Trad Bowhunter
First Laminated bow build Need Help
« on: December 28, 2013, 12:43:00 AM »
I want to build a hill style bow. I want to do it as cheap as possible but I want a good shooting bow that I can hunt with. I want it in the 50-55# range and 60-64 inches long. I don't know much about making a laminated bow. I do t want to do glass because I don't have the stuff to doit. Can somebody give me direction on the lamination I need for the bow. 3rivers sales the longbow risers with the fades cut out. What else do I need wood wise. I don't even have a form. I want to make a bow bad. Is it even possible for me. I figured if u guys can't help nobody can. Thanks.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Laminated bow build Need Help
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
That was heartbreaking ... I just wrote a 10page response and it disappeared. Not doign it again. Here's the short story.

That's pretty short for a hill bow if you ahve a 28" draw, what's your draw length?

What tools do you have?
Is this you first bow?

I think a backed bow is going to be harder than just a simple board bow. I'd buy a couple good oak or hickory baords and build a couple pyramid bows to get the hang of tillering first. There are numberous build alongs on here and the web in general.

Your hill bow would probably need to be bamboo or hickory backed ipe or osage. I'd probably make bamboo baked ipe personally ... just preference though.

You don't need the riser,

http://poorfolkbows.com/ipe1.htm

Sam harper talks more about it here. Same applies for simple board bows. You wanna use solution number three as Sam does.

Hopefully others will chime in.

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
There was an excellent article in TBM over the summer on how to build a hill style bow. I believe it was written by NY state land here on T G. I followed the directions and ended up with a fine bow. Killed two bucks with it. I got my supplies from Kenny M. A very rewarding experience

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 10:42:00 AM »
Start with simple, inexpensive steps and gain some practice and experience bowbuilding before you step into the complexities of a Hill style bow or other composite (wood-wood or wood-glass) construction.

The PoorFolks link that LittleBen gave you is an excellant resource for a number of different bow builds.  Check out the index:
 http://poorfolkbows.com/index.html

You can start with his simple Red Oak board bow and make a weapon capable of killing deer  if you're a good enough shot with it.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline kybowhunter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I have done some hollering and have built two hickory board bow. I like the idea of the pyramid style bow. My draw length is 28 and I have access to some tools. I will check these links out. I struggle with the lay out on the board bows. It looks simple but I guess I just need to dive and do it. I've shot lots of longbow and receives and I'm ready to build my own.

Offline kybowhunter2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 11:41:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I have done some hollering and have built two hickory board bow. I like the idea of the pyramid style bow. My draw length is 28 and I have access to some tools. I will check these links out. I struggle with the lay out on the board bows. It looks simple but I guess I just need to dive and do it. I've shot lots of longbow and receives and I'm ready to build my own.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©