Author Topic: Found a BIG Osage.....  (Read 921 times)

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Found a BIG Osage.....
« on: January 04, 2014, 11:52:00 PM »
It's on the edge of a farm that butts up to a park, and it is BIG. It appears to have fallen over but is suspended about 2' above the ground by the crown of the tree and the roots. My thought is it may have escaped the bugs being off the ground. I looked today where a limb tore off and it's gorgeous yellow brown wood inside. Grain is straight on the trunk. Conservatively it is at least 24" diameter and the trunk is straight and quite long, 12-15'. My wife and I have access to the farm and walk there with our baby frequently. I noticed the tree this fall and today we went for a walk. Of course I'm mentally making notes of every single osage we see while strolling....and there this beast is. Just gonna go to waste next to a concrete path in the woods of a public park. I have no idea how one could gain permission to remove a fallen tree from the city, from public land, and this is a monster log if I could trim the trunk out and split it. Basically I'm not going to sleep well with that tree sitting there, asking to be immortalized into bows! Next time I'm up there I'll measure and take a picture. Should I look under the bark for critters? What do I do....???!!!!
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline El Perro

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Found a BIG Osage.....
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 12:05:00 AM »
go to the town and find out if it's on the public land or private.  You can pull field cards showing the property lines and all public records of who owns what land (at least you can here in Ma).  Then I would call or better yet go in and see and talk to a selectman, the director of public works or the director of the parks assoc.  I know if I explained I wanted the wood for projects so it doesn't go to waste I would get permission and maybe help in harvesting.  Of course if it's actually on the private land then you're all set and can skip the above.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 12:45:00 AM »
If the tree is on city land they'll probably have a work crew cut it up and haul it off... Hurry, man!

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 09:13:00 AM »
If you tell them what your going to do with it will help too.
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »
A true 24" tree is a monster to handle.  Personally, unless I was desperate for wood, I wouldn't tackle it.  Unless you have heavy equipment, you won't be able to move it, even cut down to 6' lengths. That being said, if it is a great tree, it could be worth the effort.  Take some pics and we'll know more.  Bugs won't eat too deep into osage and that big of a tree will have little damage.  And osage hardly rots.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
I'd be more worried about the fact that the tree fell and the size. A fallen tree will have hidden stresses that are released when cut and generally dangerously. Trees that size are unruly to work on like John said. I think I'd look for suitable limbs to harvest.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
The land bordering this path  is private and I could easily ask permission so I'd need to determine where the public starts. Also the size and stress on the log scares me.  I should have taken pictures! Next trip I will. This monster ain't going nowhere. It's off the concrete path so I highly doubt it is going to be cut. All this in perspective there's many dead straight 7-10" trees around there. If it's off the ground maybe it's "standing dead" and I should check it for limbs to use. The torn off limb revealed wood which looked pretty seasoned...so this tree could have been laying over a while now. The size of the job is significant and I'm short on labor and time for sure. At the very least I can visit the tree and look....

Offline wazabodark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
What part of Texas are you in, Highpoint? If you're anywhere near New Braunfels I'd be willing to pitch in some labor and equipment in ex change for a couple of staves. That's if everything turns up good for you. Lots of bodarks in my area but they're almost all on city land. 'nuff to make a man cry.
Comfort the disturbed, disturb the comfortable.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »
Being off the ground won't protect it from bugs.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
Dallas. Thanks Eric! I've contacted the landowner I know with the adjoining farm to ask him who with the city I should talk with, etc. I have manpower now plus hauling equipment and serious saws, etc.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
I cut a nice osage I found pushed over on city property, when I told the city manager what I wanted it for he gave me permission to haul it off.

Sure wish I had a tractor back in the heyday of my osage cutting.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 06:12:00 PM »
It will be a lot of work to get that tree into staves but it will totally be worth it.  I tackled a 24" diameter tree in 2011.  I got 109 staves out of it.  It had fallen over a creek bed and had been there for several years.  Osage trees are heavy and the roots have a hard time holding them up.  At least that is what I see on our property.  
I would bet the wood in your tree is still good.  Get permission and get it home.

Here is the tree that I cut.

AKA Osage Outlaw

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 07:11:00 PM »
Hey Clint, I see the stave I made the 56" sinew backed osage recurve from. Very nice wood it that big boy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
Pat that wood was high quality stuff.  It has made some very nice bows and won two BOM's so far.  Its killed a few critters to.

I sent one of the other holey staves to Keenan for winning the stave count contest.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
And i see the one ya gave me at the classic and made  last years trade bow with....its now in oregon....and the monster tree story continues on!!!!   :clapper:    :goldtooth:

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
Stay tuned. Scrub and Eric your posts on found trees are my inspiration for this. Just gotta do it right. Any tips on sawing a leaned over (fallen) tree? Where to start first?  I'll be  researching.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »
I cut the base first, very carefully and slowly to see which way the trunk would move when it was cut loose. I looped off the free standing limbs next that weren't pushed against the back ground trees. Every cut on the trunk was cut a little see what happens, cut a little more and so forth until the trunk section was cut loose. The tree I cut had been pushed into the brush with a bull dozer and was really loaded with tension.

I almost goofed up big time! I cut a limb out of the top to relieve the pressure and didn't see a dead limb behind the one I cut. Cutting the front limb released the back limb which hit me squarely in the mouth with enough force to knock me back about 5 feet. First thing I did was run my tongue over my front teeth to see if they were still there, they were. After letting the stars I was seeing fade away, and spitting out blood for a while, I went back to cutting the tree, much more carefully this time.

At one point I knew the top was going to spring out when I cut it loose so I put my bucket under it to support it. It sprang out but my tractor was positioned to stop it.

Very tricky cutting loaded trees, I won't cut one out of a jumbled brush pile. If I can't pull it out with a cable it stays where it is at.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
Ok. Pretty sure this one is clear of others. Stay tuned.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2014, 08:29:00 PM »
i fall a fair amount of trees here- and the trees here on the coast are consistently bigger, but not as 'knarley' and spring loaded as the trees in your neck of the woods.
putting a tree on the ground is one thing.you gotta make sure you dont set up a barber chair, watch out for dead limbs above you- many fallers have been killed by dead limbs, make sure it goes the way you want it too etc etc.

but bucking up a tree on the ground , thats the real deal. eric summed it up very well!!

real hard to learn this by correspondance, but here are just a few pointers.
look thrice - cut once.
look where limbs are touching other limbs- thats a potential source for tension wood. make a few cuts into the compression wood- just almost into the neutral plane( just like tillering a bow)but not deep enough to get the bar pinched- about an inch apart- 1/2 dozen cuts or so- along both sides of the tension point- that will help relieve the tension- and distribute it better- help stop things blowing up.

then standing somewhere safe- start to cut into the tension wood slowly.
i always like to cut all the extra  limbs off  a bit above the tension point- so that if stuff does start flying about- there is a little less to hit you.

clear all the easy free limbs first- get everything cleaned up before you tackle the tough ones- clear all the debris away.
and when you are cutting the tough ones-( dont laugh!!) always set up an unobstructed escape route- things start to go bad you can run/stumble backwards out of harms way- without getting tripped up, and the log rolling on you.

i always carry two saws, or at the very least a spare bar and chain, if you get a bar pinched( and it happens to everybody) you can at least cut yourself out- or at least change the powerhead to a new bar.
a few fallers wedges are a good thing too- and the back of an axe to pound them in- if needed

listen to what Eric says- if you are going to be cutting loaded wood- go slow, and clear everything out of the way .

wear buckers pants, i actually prefer the chaps- believe me- first hand experience with this.
make sure your saw is very sharp- nothing more dangerous than a blunt saw
always try and keep the saw below head level.

and always look at the saw, when you are cutting, and make sure you are not in the flight path if the saw kicks back!!!- always be set up, so that if the saw does kick back- you can still hold onto it, and your natural body position will guide the saw past and away from you.

but also look around you- dont only watch the cut- look whats happening to the rest of the tree, and other limbs- they will start to move and tell you if somethings gonna happen.

always....always know where the tip of your saw is!!!- that is what will cause the kickback.- keep it in the air- not in the wood- and watch it doesnt touch anything else, a rock- another limb etc etc.
as you get better you can start doing plunge cuts etc

i have been thinking for a while now to put a small tutorial/help video together, just helping people with a few falling and bucking pointers. as so many of us are out there cutting down bow wood.

just be careful and go slow- if you get in a pickle- stop take a breather , and study it real hard- take your time-and it will be ok- get in a rush- thats bad news.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2014, 10:49:00 PM »
Thanks! We have a lot of cutting going on at my in laws place where they live in the country near Houston. They take saws and safety seriously. I've had pretty good instruction but safety is a never ending process. I have a Husky 181SE with a 20" new Oregon bar and new chain. That saw had a felling bar on it that was huge and it was coated with sap when I got it from Oregon. It's a capable saw. I have my wedges and splitting maul. I'll take a look at Baileys tonight for the pants, etc. I'd love to see the guide if you compile it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©