3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Seal then crest your arrows or crest and seal?  (Read 1766 times)

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
Seal then crest your arrows or crest and seal?
« on: February 07, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
I was surprised to find from Vicky at 3 Rivers that they gasquet lacquer then crest and no seal is put over the crest. Bob at Whispering Arrow I think seals over his crests.

What is your opinion? (And thanks).

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Seal then crest your arrows or crest and seal?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 08:20:00 PM »
I was asking myself this very question earlier today as I worked on a half dozen. Cant wait for some ideas...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Hog Wild

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 08:25:00 PM »
I Crest then seal.
Sawdust, Wood Chips, and Shavings are as close to Potpourri as I get!!!!!!

Offline Scott Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
I seal over my crest with water base poly.
I have done it both ways, but always had
my colors smear after lots of shooting.
I also only do a 7-8" crown dip instead
of the 10".
He who sacrifices freedom for safety deserves neither.
~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 09:03:00 PM »
I do both.  I know, obsesive compulsive, and all that, but I do 2 coats of gasket laquer, then crest, then two coats of water based poly then 2 more coats of laquer.  I also use Bob's Pro Fin and follow the same formula for that.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 09:20:00 PM »
I always seal the shaft first, because it gives a smoother surface to crest on. I usually don't bother applying finish over the crest, but I can see that it would protect it from damage and make it last longer.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 09:28:00 PM »
What Whip said. I seal with 3 coats than crest and than another coat over crest. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
I have never seen anyone seal over a crest..Always seal then crest.
Usually there are multi coats of poly, so if you consider the first coat a sealer, then 2 to 3 of poly with steel wool in between then crest.
For those who crest first, are you aplying more than one coat of sealer and do you find the paint in the sealer dipping tube?
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 09:40:00 PM »
seal then crest... When done cresting you can get any kind of spray on sealer and just give it a light dusting to protect it from rubbing and smearing.  Works for me.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 09:47:00 PM »
If you do not seal over the crest, how do you stop it from smearing and getting buggared from shooting? Shawn
Shawn

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 03:22:00 AM »
Whip,
My complaints with Pro Fin is it had a yellow tint to it and my white crown looked like a smoker's smile  :bigsmyl:  

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 07:08:00 AM »
Many ' hot ' products will melt some paints...that's why you see so many going with water based poly as it is not a 'hot' product to make some types of cresting paints run.

When I messed with wood arrows I sealed first, crested, then covered the crown or it would smear badly, as others have stated. If you want your arrows to look nice more than a week you need to seal before to give a good surface to apply the cresting, then after to protect, as many have already stated above.

Legolas, when I built arrows in the 80's/early 90's I always hated that 'yellowing' effect that some clear seals cause, and looked long and hard to get away from that. Now there are so many products available with no smells, no yellowing, it's THE GOOD OL DAYS NOW!!!!!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Buck Buckley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
Crest your arrows first,Seal them with minwaw water based poly. Dries crystal clear and most all flething glue sticks real well to it.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 09:40:00 AM »
I seal my personal arrows with 5 or 6 coats of epoxy acetone(Massey finish)crest and dip twice with GL. Arrows 5 years old look as good as the day when I made them.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 09:46:00 AM »
Eric, thats a great idea! The epoxy finish is totally waterproof, and your cresting will stay nice and sharp under the GL which is NOT waterproof...fantastic idea!!! I gotta go read jay's book and see the formula for that Massey finish and start trying that..I'm making up a batch of woods to go to Africa with and this would be a great finish for them.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
Ray, the ratio is not too important. I use baby food size jars and use 1/3 of a tube(two part)  two ton epoxy and enough acetone to dissolve the epoxy, probably a 4 or 5 to one ratio. As long as I keep the GL coats thin I don't get any cracking in the GL. I crest with folk art water based paint from wally world so none bleeds into the GL.

Offline BobinTN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 12:45:00 PM »
What is 'GL'?
Bob Brundage
Clarksville, TN

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
I always crest before sealing; except when I forget. The cresting machine is a great reminder to straighten in case one slipped through that part.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 01:25:00 PM »
gasket lacquer, BOBINTN

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 01:26:00 PM »
are you sponge brushing that on, Eric...or what?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©