Author Topic: 2014 Annual Bow Swap  (Read 27465 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Annual Bow Swap
« Reply #1360 on: March 21, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
I need to get a few more bows under my belt and join in on this fun!
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1361 on: March 21, 2014, 07:49:00 PM »
So, I figure I should show some progress...

Doesn't look like much, but it's early on.  You can see the bend in one limb I have to heat out, and once both are perfectly straight I'll toast the belly some and check weight then.  Still needs some room before I get to lacing.

I'm thinking black walnut stain, and it's got a green and brown string, so dark green lacing seems a fit, no?  Still have to fit the special tip overlays for the lacing as well.  I'm slow, but there can't be any sharp angles where the string touches.  That's often harder than it sounds.

Also, in case that was for real, nobody send any "bow-making fluid," even if I had ever had a drink of alcohol my liver is so shot from the stuff I take one would likely end me in the hospital-I have the tolerance for stuff of a cape buffalo, but I can't process it out.  Save it for yourselves where it could be enjoyed-all I could do with it is have a target that bleeds.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1362 on: March 21, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Hey that's good looking progress Seminole.  Look forward to seeing it all finished up.

Yeah the "bow making fluid" was real.  He put that in there cause I drink Coors original and we have joked back and forth about him "having" to drink Coors lite.  I got a great laugh when I pulled out the bow and the can fell out.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1363 on: March 21, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1364 on: March 21, 2014, 11:00:00 PM »
D - Congrats on the bow.  I guess it's OK.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1365 on: March 22, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »
halfseminole,

Looking good.
Definitely going to be a unique bow.
Looking forward with much curiosity to its completion.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1366 on: March 22, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
Hope nobody on here's a revenuer! They might get ya for bootleggin', Roy! LOL!

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1367 on: March 22, 2014, 10:24:00 PM »
I've already disposed of the evidence..lol

Well I've worked on getting my form ready and odds and ends tied up for a long time todsy.  I'm finally ready for glue up...If I had my hose that is.  I'm waiting on it.  I'll get it glued up sometime.

Offline GentlemanArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1368 on: March 23, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
After a rough few months at work, finding a new job, and getting over a healthy dose of planning paralysis...I got tradbow, mark1 in the oven.  I call it mark1 cause I always plan on a back up.

Thanks for all the inspiration.

GA

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1369 on: March 23, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
Good deal Phillip. Look toward to seeing pics when ya get her out and cleaned up.  

I dont have much experience with a hose form so i got a question how do you guys keep the lams from pushing down the fade ramps when you air the hose up?  I was laying mine out on the form doing sort of a dry run and I thought of that and figured ide ask if thats a problem to expect or if its no big deal

Online goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1370 on: March 23, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
Not sure what you're getting at D. Mine have never slid down towards the limb tips. I put small blocks between the top form connecting brackets to keep everything from sliding off the form. Does that answer your question ?

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1371 on: March 23, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
Just use some filament tape to hold the lams down temporarily while you get the metal strip and hose on, then bolt the top of the form on.  The tape will hold enough.  I've only had them slip maybe 1/16" if that, but you'll shape that off when you shape up the riser anyway.
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1372 on: March 23, 2014, 11:37:00 PM »
Yea both answered my question.  Thanks for the help.  Its greatly appreciated.

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1373 on: March 24, 2014, 01:19:00 PM »
Got my trade bow roughed shaped and now its time to clean up everything and a ton of sanding. Seems too shoot really well but I'm bias.

Here is the tiller

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1374 on: March 24, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
Looking good Justin.
   :thumbsup:

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1375 on: March 24, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
that does look good Justin!!

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1376 on: March 24, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
I got my trade bow finished up and ready to roll.  Although they get a bad rap for being "simple", "primitive", "amateur", etc., I've long enjoyed building and shooting pyramid bows with a little string follow.  I find them to be classy, forgiving, smooth, hard-hitting, and reliable.  This hickory pyramid appears simple enough, but actually has a few "add-ons", including both a fully trapped back and laminated reflexed tips.  I truly hope the new owner enjoys it.  I left it "in the white" because, like a good violin, there's just something striking about it.  In fact, many renowned luthiers (makers of stringed instruments) claim their instruments sounded better in the white before staining and finishing.  I doubt it applies to bows, but this piece of wood looked too clean and tidy to stain.  So @%($%)@*%, you might have to get creative in the hunting woods.  I'll let you know when I ship, Kelly.

"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1377 on: March 24, 2014, 03:35:00 PM »
pretty bow.

I know I really enjoyed the one oak pyramid bow I made.
They really are cool.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1378 on: March 24, 2014, 04:29:00 PM »
Nice Justin and 4est..

Online goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #1379 on: March 24, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
aint nuthin wrong with that bow Forest. part of the fun is getting a bow you may never make yourself. I'd be honored to have that one

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©