Author Topic: 2014 Annual Bow Swap  (Read 27288 times)

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Annual Bow Swap
« Reply #2060 on: May 14, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
Wow some great stuff being made. I am tacking 9 bows in the mail 13 received and we are 18% complete.

I have my youngest High School graduation this weekend and my father came in a bit early so I have not been on here much. this week but I think I am all caught up. I hope to be off crutches by the end of the month. If that happens I should be able to make head way on my bow.
Great work. every one we are coming up on the first dead line, 13 Jun.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2061 on: May 14, 2014, 10:12:00 PM »
Thats a great looking bow right there.  I wanna see pics of those hogs you get.  Good luck

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2062 on: May 14, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
Nice bows!!

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2063 on: May 14, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »
My turn!   :clapper:  

I'll try to keep this short, if I can.

I retired 9-11-12.  I now have a little part time job.  Just a few hours a month.  Today of all days I left the house at 7:30 am and got home just after 9pm and wouldn't you know there was a long tube waiting for me.

Thank you so much to D.  When I was asking questions about form building and supplies a while back D was kind enough to send me some fire hose and some brackets.  Well he just sent a beautiful bow to the same address.

My butt was kind of dragging after the long day but I definitely perked up opening that tube.  The hard part is waiting for tomorrow and some daylight so I can shoot it.

At least you have all seen pictures already.  If I can shoot it half as good as it looks I'll be all smiles.

Thanks agian D.  You did a great job.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2064 on: May 15, 2014, 12:17:00 AM »
Glad you like it Scott.  My plan was to send the hose and form brackets we talked about with the bow but there was no way I could have it done that quick and I figured you needed the form parts..lol I really am glad you like it though.  Let me know how it shoots for ya.

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2065 on: May 15, 2014, 01:52:00 AM »
Congrats   :archer2:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2066 on: May 15, 2014, 05:33:00 AM »
I guess it's ok BeachyBoy..  :)

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2067 on: May 15, 2014, 09:24:00 AM »
Thanks again Dave(D).  I got out fairly early this morning and it was raining/sleeting a little but I shot anyway.  :)  The rain didn't last too long.  The bow is about 8# heavier than what I have been shooting so my shoulders got tired too quickly but I loved it.  Now I need to go work on my trade bow some more.

I finished the form and made my first bow earlier this week.  I learned a lot and made a couple of cosmetic mistakes.  Hopefully I can get the next one up to par and done soon.  I'll be happy if I can make my recipient half as satisfied as I am.

Scott

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2068 on: May 15, 2014, 12:23:00 PM »
Good deal Scott. Really glad ya like it my friend and your very welcome

Offline Jorgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2069 on: May 15, 2014, 03:47:00 PM »
Haven't been here for a while,some really great looking bows guys.

Online goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2070 on: May 15, 2014, 10:03:00 PM »
What a great time to check up on the gang!
Really great bows going around. Glad to see D and Ranger are still friends    :saywhat:  
the craziness is nearly done and I will be makin dust pretty soon. Really.... great job fellas !!    :clapper:

Offline rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2071 on: May 15, 2014, 10:22:00 PM »
Josh, you have a preview of your bow for this year? That zebra wood bow last year was amazing I get compliment on it every time I pull it our at a 3D shoot
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2072 on: May 15, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
Great work folks some real talent here for sure.

Offline BrianO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2073 on: May 15, 2014, 11:08:00 PM »
Yesterday I was at home catching up on some work I had put off for some time...... Then the knock at the door.  My heart jumped out of my chest! Could it be, could it be??!!! Oh yes it was, the long tube that we all wait for so anxiously.  I about shut the door in the postman's face. Not really but I didn't do a lot of small talking either.  I popped the tube open and what I found was a BEAUT from Mr Todd Cook.  A slender long bow with a forward handle and dark wood. And she was short. Haven't actually measured it but I'm guessing 56". Beautiful bow with walnut and wenge. She draws smooth and looks smoother. I couldn't be happier.  I only had a second this morning to put a couple shots through it but this baby shoots sweet. Mr Cook claims to be an amateur bow builder but I would argue that point pretty hard.  Todd you did a wonderful job and I am super excited.  I will post some pics this weekend.
So blessed to be a part of such a great group of guys.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2074 on: May 15, 2014, 11:32:00 PM »
I just got notice to get to the mail and see what is there.   :)  
Rumour has it , there is a long box or tube waiting for a new home.  :D  
 Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Dwillo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2075 on: May 16, 2014, 12:26:00 AM »
Well, after a few attempts I finally delivered my bow to its recipient. Turns out he lives across town from me. I'll let him post for himself but it was a real pleasure meeting him. I wish I had a picture of his face when I asked him his name. Anyway, here he is with his new bow.

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.

Henry David Thoreau

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2076 on: May 16, 2014, 12:44:00 AM »
Ok guys, I need to give a little update.
Life has been more hectic than usual these past few months. I've been working a ton of overtime, and have had two deaths in the family, and another of a good friend to deal with. On top of that, "my" shop, is actually owned by all of my grand parents kids, so a lot of the family utilizes it, as well as the family business. Needless to say, the shop has also been very busy the past couple of months. It's hard to find a working surface at times. So, I am very sorry for the delays, but hopefully, I'll be able to make a lot of progress in the coming weeks. I don't intend to go over the deadline, but the way things have been going, I wouldn't be too surprised if that does happen.
I have all my materials and tools ready to go, and can see the final product in my mind, so once I get really going, I should be able to make some good progress.
So don't worry **********, I haven't forgotten about you! Now that I have a plan, I'm really itching to see it come to life. And by the way, I have to wait until I ship before I can receive my treasure, so that's a little more motivation. Thanks for your patience. I hope you will all like what I create.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2077 on: May 16, 2014, 02:57:00 AM »
we were talking about my trad bow with kelly and it seems like i will be able to make it on time. i was worried since i have some other "VERY" important business issues to be solved in month time.

anyway, take down turned out well enough. but i had to apply one and a half more layer of fiber glass on back. so it darkens the veneer. this is sad because i bought very nice looking veneers for this bow. i decided to apply one more veneer layer on top the fiber glass both back and belly without applying one more layer of glass. i will shoot the pics soon.

this will, i assume, make the bow looks pretty but it will not be like the masters of the bows...

btw: thanks for all of your praying for my daughter. the last MRI scans turned out very well. doc said no need to worry about anything more but we need to keep our eyes on her. next MRI scan is 6 months later.

best.

--
finally i figured out why i am always having problems on building my bows. i am making my bow ON THE FLY. no casts, no fire hose, no factory prepared stuff. i am just making my bows as i wish or as i sensed. as if i feel like it is gonna work or not. ( in force i trust  :D  ) this results every bow building process is another R&D process. yes, i know it is painful, who said i don't like it  :)  on the other hand all of my bows are unique!
--
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2078 on: May 16, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
Ink very glad to hear good news about your daughter. Hope all continues to go well

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2079 on: May 16, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
The mail came thru with a sweet Osage 3 piece longbow.     :bigsmyl:    
 Thank you very much Alan Dean. I love it.     :clapper:    
 We don't get Osage here and this is one of my favorite bow woods, and this Osage under glass is great. I can't wait to let it bask in the sun and turn that great dark Osage color.
 I just ran downstairs and shot a couple arrows.
 Not a hint of a vibration and silent as any bow I have shot, including self bows. I got a winner!!!!!!  Shoots great, feels great, looks great and will be even prettier with age as the Osage takes on the warm look from the UV rays. I will post a couple photos later today.
 I am still looking it over and keep finding more things to like. Those sleek limb tips are awesome. There is some nice character in the limbs, and the glass is flawless , just like the finish. Did I say I like the low grip, Oh yes it is nice too. Not to big, not to small , just right. I think I know what I am doing this afternoon.    :archer2:    
 This bow is in desperate need of exercise, and it definitely needs to be introduced to some nice heavy arrows in the 600 to 800 grain range so it will have a nice long life.
 Thanks again Alan.
You made a winner.
 Pete

It seems to like a 500 spine Heavy Hunter carbon shaft with a 100 gr SS insert and a 250 gr point. With this much weight it is so quiet and nice to shoot.
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©