Author Topic: 2014 Annual Bow Swap  (Read 27217 times)

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Annual Bow Swap
« Reply #2200 on: June 06, 2014, 07:53:00 AM »
Let's see... a little sleuthing in the TradGang directory turned up a Phil in Colorado that goes by the handle of GentlemanArcher. Searching his prior posts shows he signed up for the swap but hasn't been that active since.

Now that I've taken care of that for you David, how about a full draw pic for everyone? A few specs?
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2201 on: June 06, 2014, 08:25:00 AM »
Thanks canopyboy;
and many thanks to Gentleman archer.
full draw will have to wait until hay is cut, but I will post it. 55#@28" 62"
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2202 on: June 06, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
A lot of very nice looking bows this year.
Update on. My swap bow. I signed up and at first our extra cold winter slowed me down.  Then some type of arthritus  settled in my hand and wrist and it was not possible to do any shop work.
I finally have,some medication for inflamitory arthritus and it has knocked the edge off.
I have a bamboo, red elm, and Osage tri-lam glued up.
This is my first tri-lam and I hope I make it on the first try since time is short. Can't pull a bow now so all the exercising will be on the tree and my recipient  will have to shoot it in.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2203 on: June 06, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
I thought I was going to ship today until I realized I hadn't written anything on the bow yet.  So after a little writing and then some more coats of finish I will let it cure over the weekend and ship on Monday.

I did shoot it some more.  I will be the first to admit my trad shooting skills need a of of work so I shot two types of arrows at a pretty short distance.  It looks like the bow liked the cedar arrows best as they were straight as can be in the target and the carbons were not quite as straight.  With a little tuning I'm sure either will work fine.  Here's what the target looked like with six arrows form about 8 yards.

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2204 on: June 07, 2014, 01:03:00 AM »
Hill hunter, Phil makes a pretty nice shooting bow.  I got one from him last year.  Managed to make meat with her on a nice 9 point buck thats currently sitting at the taxidermist :-)
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2205 on: June 09, 2014, 02:13:00 AM »
Got plan b on a string.... Shape er up and hope this one holds together   :pray:

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2206 on: June 09, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »
Nice looking chunk of bocote...get 'er done!
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline GentlemanArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2207 on: June 09, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
Thanks for the kind words HillHunter and talkingcabbage.  I totally forgot to sign her.  I hope she treats you well.

I'm signed up for a few triathlons this summer so have been a little less active than in the past.  Still shooting up at the Game Lines Archery club here in Boulder when I can get the chance.  They just re-worked the course...its fantastic, there are some insanely challenging shots now. Good stuff.

Kia Kaha

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2208 on: June 09, 2014, 02:50:00 PM »
Got some good work done on a hickory backed hickory pyramid bow, this weekend. Will get more work done on it tonight and through the week. I also have a Hickory backed Ipe that may be a backup if something goes awry with this one.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2209 on: June 09, 2014, 04:42:00 PM »
I just checked the tracking service and there's a bow " out for delivery "
Check your porches!
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2210 on: June 09, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
Well finished shaping and sanding my swap bow. I'm very pleased with the way it is turning out! Should be shipping on Friday. I got the first coat of gloss on it and plan on three more before lettering the bow up and then two coats of satin to knock down the glare.

It's two pounds over and the best I could do. Hope ya like it!

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2211 on: June 09, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
Well, yesterday I got all of my lams spliced, the riser sanded to profile, the form modified for a reverse handle, etc. Did a dry run last night and I couldn't get the gap to close up all the way on the fade. It's shallower than my prior bows, but the second curve as I bring the lam over the new back of the bow in one piece seems to be causing too much resistance. Either that, or as the ends of the limbs clamp down first, the lam cannot slide in enough to follow the curve of the riser. (Not a problem on my normal handled hills.) So I put it in the oven dry to see if I can basically bake a bend into the lams before I glue up. Didn't get a chance to check this morning, looking forward to heading home to see how it came out.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2212 on: June 09, 2014, 06:37:00 PM »
wWw Soy and Bow huntingetc, two great looking bows!Make some one happy!

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2213 on: June 09, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »
Ok an update for those who are suppose to ship in the next 2 days. I want make it. I just came off crutches and my shop is out side and it is raining buckets here. I should make the grace. (I pray).
Moe told me he was having some minor issues but should be done in a week or so.

Westexan's bow is ready to ship but has been out of town due to illness and death of a loved one.

halfseminole is awaiting as string.

Red hill, LESKEN2011, eagleone, Pheonixarcher
shoot me an update. or post it here.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2214 on: June 09, 2014, 09:15:00 PM »
Wanted to give an update on my trade bow.  Been coming along slowly.  Work is crazy this spring.  Here are some pics.  I am not real happy with the string tracking of the limbs.  I am a little further along that the pics show but may have to remake a limb.  Don't know.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2215 on: June 09, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
Hot dang! It worked. Went down to the shop and the pressure had dropped to 60 psi in 24 hours including the oven cycle. But the fades were nice and tight. One end started to open up at 45 psi, and the other around 30. Not sure why the difference. I'll have to make sure it's centered in the form properly. I put a little pressure back on it to keep the shape until I can apply the smooth-on and re-cook later this week. I have to say, I was a bit worried about it after last night. Maybe that's why I couldn't sleep for carp? You know, wouldn't want to let *#^#@*# down...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2216 on: June 09, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
Dave, Thad, and Justin -- those are awesome. Any of them heading to the mid-atlantic region?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2217 on: June 09, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
Canopyboy, we'll just have to see where she goes when I get it done.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2218 on: June 09, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
Mine may head north, south, east, or west of New Hampshire...

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2219 on: June 09, 2014, 09:51:00 PM »
Dang Dave I love the wood combo and riser design.... I really wanna build something to that degree one day!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©