Author Topic: 2014 Annual Bow Swap  (Read 27001 times)

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Annual Bow Swap
« Reply #2240 on: June 13, 2014, 04:36:00 AM »
Boy..."patience!"
You ain't kidding! Lol. I should've had this project done a long time ago, but I've had to have extreme patience with my job, and the others that have access to 'my' shop, and maintain that patience in the little bit of time that I get to work on bows so that I don't rush things.  How I dream of the day when I have all the time and tools and money that I need to build bows on my own relaxing time frame. Some day! Until then, I guess I'll just have to be patient.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2241 on: June 13, 2014, 08:27:00 AM »
Bows out for delivery today.... Watch your front door steps!

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2242 on: June 13, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
My oldest daughter (and suddenly the current holder of "favorite daughter" title) just texted me a picture of a tube in my house that was delivered today.

I called her to have her read me the sender's name. I can't wait to get these last couple things at work done and race home....
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2243 on: June 13, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »
I've had a little setback with back problems. Haven't done much bow work(or any other work)for a few weeks but I promise I'll have her ready before the deadline. d;^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2244 on: June 13, 2014, 04:10:00 PM »
Hope you heal up soon, Pat...

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2245 on: June 13, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
Holy smokes! This bow is awesome! Details to follow after I go play with it until dark...

Take care of yourself Pat. Don't rush the body to meet a deadline. I think anyone on this swap would happily wait for a Pat B bow!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2246 on: June 13, 2014, 06:30:00 PM »
:campfire:
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2247 on: June 13, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
Post pics canopyboy

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2248 on: June 13, 2014, 10:58:00 PM »
WooHooo !!!
after the worst couple weeks of work I come home to find a nice little cardboard tube. Thanks Jeff !!
Eagleone sent a great looking bow-board bow right?
I will get pics up by Sunday. Hope to shoot it soon

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2249 on: June 14, 2014, 12:31:00 AM »

scars did an amazing job on this bow.  That's drawn to 32" without stacking.  I'm betting it will go further.  Yes, I know the top tunc has come apart and is slipping. I'm gonna redo it in leather for weight saving.  I honestly feel bad shooting carbons from it.

And yes, I am standing enough to shoot, and walking enough on some days to get my arrows.  I can't do it every day, and I still require the chair mostly, but it's progress and I'll take it.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2250 on: June 14, 2014, 04:05:00 AM »
That's a great looking bow.What is the draw weight?

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2251 on: June 14, 2014, 09:03:00 AM »
Ed, nice bow and good to see you on your feet.
Mine is coming along nicely but slow. I prefer to miss a deadline than rush the bow. Will hopefully get it shooting this weekend. To my bowyer, if you have my bow done and are waiting to ship I apologize, but if you are still working on it, take your time and relax. I'm not an impatient person, thanks for your work.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2252 on: June 14, 2014, 09:10:00 AM »
That's awesome Ed! Glad to hear it.

Gonna finish this cup of coffee and wander down to the shop and pull the bow out of the oven. My honey-do list isn't that big yet (wife is sick), so I'm hoping to get the bow shooting before the day is out. That may be pushing my luck though. The good thing is that tomorrow is Father's Day and yet I've been voluntold to help teach scuba to the girl scouts. I'm hoping to leverage that into more free time today...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2253 on: June 14, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
Ok, so the bow pics:

Sorry, after shooting last night I was reminded that we had obligations at the neighbor's party where they were making Gin & Tonics with an apparent shortage of tonic. So posting pictures needed to wait until I had slept in and had my coffee this morning. Justin - My apologies for the wait.

The tube had been smashed little on the back, but it turned out not to be a problem as my bowyer had wrapped the bow in 38 layers of foam and bubble wrap and two rolls of yellow masking tape. It actually took me over 5 minutes to get to my bow. But it was worth the work.

Justin (bowhuntingeverything####) wasn't kidding that he had made a fine bow. This thing was awesome. If this is his best, I'd have been happy with his next best too.

The bow is 63# at 29", brown glass front and back with I'm guessing 4 lams of bamboo? The first time I pulled it back, it felt like Justin's scale might have been reading light. Or I'm just getting weaker after visiting ole Roybert...

That was as far as I got for a couple of hours as a few duties at home called. (The girls and I had to have the house cleaned before mom came home.) A little later we went outside to try it out. The full draw pic (also the first shot pic):

This bow flat-out zings an arrow. Its tillering is great, I can't feel any handshock even with arrows that are probably too light for it. Finish is flawless and the string with muskrat(?) silencers makes for a quiet shot. I put about 50 arrows through it out to about 40 yards until I started to get tired. Hopefully today I can tweak the nocking point a bit and work on some heavier arrows. (Although priority 1 is getting my recipient's bow done.)

Thanks Justin!

:clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2254 on: June 14, 2014, 10:18:00 AM »
I don't know the draw weight either, but it's not very hard on my shoulders.  Draw length is up in the air, as that's a 32" carbon and I can pull it to the point easily.  Looking to make some longer arrows and try them out now.  Shouldn't be too difficult.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2255 on: June 14, 2014, 10:57:00 AM »
Sweet bow Canopy!    :thumbsup:
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2256 on: June 14, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
Question for those who haven't received a bow yet. (I'm hoping my recipient chimes in....)

I was way off on my new bow design. Roughed out I have it at 12 pounds over the top of his 5# range. I know I can shed some weight by narrowing it up a little still, and some more by trapping the back and final sanding. That should get me down to within 5# of the top of his range which is definitely within what he builds for himself even if it's more than he asked for. Thoughts? I love the bow I got that's 3# over the top of my range.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2257 on: June 14, 2014, 04:25:00 PM »
If it were to be mine, I'd be fine going a bit high. I'll just work my way up to the weight.
Besides, that just so much more umph to push that arrow through a moose. Or with my luck, through the twig to get to the moose!    :knothead:  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2258 on: June 14, 2014, 05:02:00 PM »
Well, never mind. I got it down to within 2# and it seems to shoot pretty good. I took it out to 40 yds to see the cast and I'm happy with it. Maybe just a touch of thump to tweak out still and a finer grit sanding before finish. Betcha that it will land on the money when I'm done. Didn't know I could take that much weight off of a glass bow, but there you have it. I'll post some teaser pics when I can get the camera back from my kids.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2259 on: June 14, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
Dave - Congrats on receiving such a nice bow.  Bring that thing up with you next time you're in town for me to play with too.

Well done Justin!!!!!
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©