Author Topic: 2014 Annual Bow Swap  (Read 26472 times)

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Annual Bow Swap
« Reply #3080 on: November 03, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
Stan, I have no use for Razorback's bow.  If I read right it is left handed, I am right handed, and probably 50#+@26".  that would make it over 60# @ 30" if it will even draw that without breaking.  Why don't you just keep it.  I don't plan on dying any time soon.  Assuming you don't either, why not get off your butt and just make me a bow instead of making excuses.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3081 on: November 03, 2014, 12:41:00 PM »
Al, I have a 68" slightly reflexed longbow that draws 43# @ 28".  My FD curve on it shows it easily draws 31" without stacking.  

I am willing to send you this bow if it would be satisfactory to you.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3082 on: November 03, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »
I have a back up bowyer on stand by if needed. But we shall see if it is needed. Thanks Though Mike. I had to put them on hold when Stan PMed me.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3083 on: November 03, 2014, 02:15:00 PM »
Ok, offer stands.
Monterey

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3084 on: November 03, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by Al Dean:
Stan, I have no use for Razorback's bow.  If I read right it is left handed, I am right handed, and probably 50#+@26".  that would make it over 60# @ 30" if it will even draw that without breaking.  Why don't you just keep it.  I don't plan on dying any time soon.  Assuming you don't either, why not get off your butt and just make me a bow instead of making excuses.
I don't know if Stan has time now or not, but if so that sounds like a workable solution.

Also, I think it's worth noting he didn't make any excuses that I saw, just an apology.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3085 on: November 03, 2014, 06:04:00 PM »
When being in this bow swap is your idea and yours alone, there are no excuses or apologies that will do.  Sometimes no matter what the circumstances, when you have said yes you just bite the bullet and do it.  No matter how difficult it may be.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3086 on: November 04, 2014, 11:19:00 AM »
:(

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3087 on: November 06, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
Ok, I'm not saying that Al doesn't have a reason to be grumpy, but we need to get a little positive out there and bring this thread back to life. It's one of the few reasons I log in regularly.

Has anyone been taking their swap bows hunting this fall? I've got plans to, but I need to get my butt out there first. Things have been a bit busy so far this fall.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3088 on: November 06, 2014, 10:16:00 AM »
I'm in the same boat Dave. Have to get in gear and get some time in the woods. I'd really like to get my swap bow out a bit too ... unfortunately I think it's too long to shoot from my current blind so I need to figure out if I can shoot it from a stand.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3089 on: November 06, 2014, 12:00:00 PM »
I have hunted with my swap bow several times this year.  No deer yet.  I also killed 2 squirrels with my swap bow from last year.  Had a doe w/i 40 yards last night but she just wouldn't come all the way before light faded in a spectacular fall sunset.  A full (ish) moon completed the night as I walked through a mist shrouded pasture on the way back to the car.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3090 on: November 06, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
Well, my grandson was home from college this summer and after shooting my swap bow for a while it sorta somehow turned into HIS bow!!!!  That seems to happen to me alot.

I can build another bow for him and try to get it back, but besting that swap bow will be tough.

My bow was built by Dan Willoughby (dwillo) and I'll tell you that he is one of TGs unsung and little known exceptional bowyers.  While he posts only rarely he has been a longtime member here whose work shows attention to detail along with the artistry of a dedicated bowyer.

Guess I'll have to pick up one of my old bows to pursue bunnies and squirrels.
Monterey

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3091 on: November 06, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
I've been out a few times with mine, not much happening though.  The rut should be getting started soon, maybe that will change things.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3092 on: November 06, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
Oh every time I go out it is with it. I have passed on 3 small bucks 2 at 10yrds from the ground. I could not decide if they were 2.5 or 3.5 years old so they wallked. Had a fork at 20. First buck I have ever rattled in. Then a doe that same morning. She just got uneasy as I was trying to get ready for the shot. Oh and there was another doe who busted me I was trying to turn 180 to intercept her. To much movement I guess. SO yep hunted with it a few times. I will be out in the am and every day but Saturday and Thursday (volunteer work). Son and I both took vacation time all next week. When I make meat with it. I may put it up so my Roy bow or goose bow gets a chance also.

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3093 on: November 07, 2014, 08:12:00 AM »
Ok, inspired by Kelly taking vacation next week I decided to do the same thing. Kinda. Tuesday is a holiday for us. I can't miss W/Th, but I did take leave for Monday and Friday. And while this weekend is full from dawn to dusk teaching archery to the Girl Scouts, next weekend is wide open. I also got spousal approval (during a weak moment I'm sure) for such priortization of time in the woods. So with the rut coming on I should have M/T/F/Sa/Su to try and fill the freezer.

I have prioritized making meat (larger than squirrel) with my own bow first. But then I'm taking out my swap bow. It will probably be easier to hunt with out of a stand or blind as it's a bit shorter. If I get lucky enough to make meat twice, I'd like to move to last year's bow which is also awesome. But we'll see, I'm probably getting ahead of myself.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3094 on: November 07, 2014, 10:09:00 AM »
HAHA thats so funny Dave. I did basically the same thing after reading Kelly's post lol.

The rut is no time to be working .... then again neither is the early season ... or the late season ...

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3095 on: November 07, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Why oh why can't I make a living hunting. Where was that career High School guidance counselor?

Went out this AM nothing seen jumped one not far from the car. This PM went out and they were cutting the milo field right behind me. So I did not see anything. I am doing volunteer work in the am so not going out. I seen a spike at noon poor thing did not make it across the road.

Offline kevin_h

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3096 on: November 08, 2014, 01:22:00 AM »
I am jealous of the deer hunts...but we do have caribou..although shooting a bow at -8 had me wondering if the bow was going crack first or me from the cold.
Kevinh_ak
Alaska teacher..

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3097 on: November 08, 2014, 07:06:00 AM »
Dang, I was thinking 30 degrees was cold this morning.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dwillo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3098 on: November 08, 2014, 09:47:00 AM »
I've shot mine from jorgy quite a bit, just at the range. Beautiful bow and a very sweet shooter. I get lots of questions and compliments on it. I didn't get out to hunt this year but its definitely going with me next year. Maybe do some turkey in the spring with it.
What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.

Henry David Thoreau

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3099 on: November 18, 2014, 07:10:00 AM »
Soooo....... is that the end? I know most of us are busy hunting but I think we had two left to receive a bow. Kelly must be at the taxidermist.....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©