Author Topic: 2014 Annual Bow Swap  (Read 26523 times)

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2014 Annual Bow Swap
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2014, 08:32:00 PM »
Sounds pretty sweet to me!!!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2014, 08:43:00 PM »
Since everyone is stalking their prey, This is what I like:
I have no real favorite type or class but whatever it is I feel it should  be able to tell its own story. " form follows function "

For instance tempered belly should be visible, heat treatments for shaping or corrections I feel add character to any bow and lets the bow tell its own story. If you see it you know how to treat and care for the bow.
wood lam bows should be able to tell what was done to make them also.
With all rules there are exceptions and glass fills that area in my opinion. They should show the process of the bowyer who made them. The colors the grain choices the combination of wood all come together.

At the moment I am interested in any and all types of lever tip bows. Horse, Korean, turk, molly, holms, native American styles its all good. In other words It is up to the bowyer How he makes it. Not me, I will be pleased to follow the story of the bow it self.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
Here are some possible candidates for risers... Longbow, recurve and snubnose.... Now which one to build

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2014, 09:36:00 PM »
The one in the middle looks sweet!

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 17, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
Whats the figured wood in the top one? I like that.

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 17, 2014, 09:55:00 PM »
I like all three! There's nothing like figured wood in a bow. Art you hunt with, plus natural camo sometimes.    :)  
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
Eric that's lacewood or nickname is gatorwood, but what trux is showing is some very fine grained highly flaked piece of wood. Keeps its structure with no fade.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 17, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Echatham:
Whats the figured wood in the top one? I like that.
It's leopard wood with shedua on the top

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: January 17, 2014, 10:10:00 PM »
Wow, I stand corrected that sure looked like lacewood

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 17, 2014, 10:17:00 PM »
Yea Joe they both look the same to me- you are right on it keeping its structure with no fade.Here's a better look at he second riser- orange heart with a mosaic.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »
Well i like it.  And thats the one thing that makes me want to build a glass bow sometimes.  Fancy figured wood combination.  Kinda the same as a knot or grain swirl in a selfbow... I can stare at that for hours while the deer swing wide and out of sight around my hidey spot   :laughing:

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2014, 10:40:00 PM »
Same problem here on finding info on my recipient.  I like the way you describe it, Scars.  Let the bow tell its story and your story.  I like that.

I would like any kind of bow that I don't have.  I make American flat bows out of Osage with a backing, either hickory or boo.  

So far I have received a juniper ambush bow from Keenan Howard. (Rattler skins, buffalo sinew... The works!) I have an r/d fg longbow that has a smooth draw and shoots sweet! And last year an Osage self bow ended up with me. It has a para cord handle wrap and raw wool string silencers.

Three swaps with three different bows exhibiting different styles, techniques, and artistry. Man, that's what this swap is about! At least for me.

Oh, yeah they're each from a different state.  I enjoy showing them off and explaining the differences and sharing "their stories."

So short story long... I like anything I don't have and I can shoot.

Sorry for rambling.   :archer2:

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2014, 10:47:00 PM »
Trux of it were my choice I would tell you to put the all in a sack and have someone reach in and pull one out and make me a bow.

But I know it isn't for me. But I am sure ***** will like any of those.

Online timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
i don't think i was meant to be a stalker. not patient enough for it i reckon. so i'm gonna try to choose something that i wont want to ship.  ;)

been laid up a few days with the flu that is running rampant up here. near exhausted the shoppers of all their buckleys.
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2014, 11:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Trux Turning:
Yea Joe they both look the same to me- you are right on it keeping its structure with no fade.Here's a better look at he second riser- orange heart with a mosaic.

Yes that is awesome Trux The mosaic is the eye candy makes your eyes just flow over the whole riser.

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2014, 11:58:00 PM »
Dmaxshawn, those veneers are awesome!  Wish I could find some wood like that.  Love that grain!

Well if anyone is wondering about me, I'll take about anything.  I've become more of a glass guy myself, but I have been wanting a BBO or the like.  I'd really like to build one myself but I've been out of selfbows and wood bows for long enough I'd have to practice on something first to feel comfortable tillering an R/D bow out.  I'd really like a 3 piece too, just for ease of packing.  I'm planning a hog hunt this year and wouldn't mind something easier to pack in a bag than a longbow.  Although I like longbows and recurves too!  You know what, I'd take whatever my builder wants to build.  Something that is a challenge for them, and stretches their skills.  Something they don't want to ship out.  That's pretty much what I shot for last year and it worked out great.
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2014, 12:07:00 AM »
I'm having a hard time as well. At this point in time, I'm only building 3pc T/D longbows, so at least that part is taken care of. I just can't figure out what types of wood my recipient likes best or would want. If I can't figure something out in the next few weeks, they'll just have to be happy with what I choose. So, **********, you'd better speak up if you want something special! Lol.

As for me, I'd also like something different from what I have, but I'll be happy with anything. A few that come to mind would be a Hill style, a tri-lam, anything with Osage, a static tip curve, or snubby, in no particular order.

But as I said, I'll be more than happy with anything. I like pretty woods with nice color, contrast, grain, figure, curl, burl, and on and on... I just like bows, and shooting them!!!  Hope that narrows it down a little. Lol.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2014, 01:23:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the input. I build bows that I hunt with and what would work in the woods so guess I will go along that roots.

As far as my builder... I'm am a diehard hunter so that being said... Short bows would work the best for me. Ya better believe I will hit the woods with the bow I receive.  A comfortable grip is key for me!!!

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2014, 04:59:00 AM »
Started on a plan b wood backup just in case the glass don't work out...I will get picks up as soon as a b and c are a possibly for the next stage   :goldtooth:

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2014, 05:21:00 AM »
Three beauties Trux- but I`d still stay with the snubnose. (or the recurve as I usually build ma own longbows...)
I checked out the shipping options for me and a T/D is really economic AND allows me to build another set of limbs if I shall miss the weight   :rolleyes:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©