Author Topic: Formica strip?  (Read 558 times)

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Formica strip?
« on: January 17, 2014, 09:35:00 AM »
Hey guys, working on my Kenny M form and wanted to know what glue to use on the Formica strip. I've got tb3, will this be sufficient? Also had an idea on how to true up the top half of the form. Was going to clamp the pattern to the bottom half of from with about 1/4" overhang and then square the two halfs with just enough spacing to run the pattern bit between to true the edge on top form. Don't know that it's necessary but figured "why not"!! What y'all think?
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Formica strip?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
you will be fine with TB3

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
I used carpet tape to hold my formica strip on.  It will slide on you if your form isn't perfectly flat with that stuff though, which is both good and bad haha.  My first bow came out wonky, but the rest came out perfect because I had a pattern map of what needed to be adjusted and where haha. TB3 would work fine though, just really make sure your form is perfect because it probably isn't coming back off!

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 12:31:00 PM »
When I first got started I bought the Bingham's DVD for one piece recurves. Elmont used spray on contact cement for the strip. So I bought high temp spray on contact cement from Lowes..3M "High Strength 90" it has worked on 3 forms so far. I ordered the Binghams form kit and they sent .040 black Glass instead of formica..so i have used 040 black glass on all 3 of my forms.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 01:12:00 PM »
being in the boonies here- i couldnt get formica on island.
so i took a hickory backing strip, ran it thru the thickness sander- got it perfect , glued it down with normal contact adhesive. sealed it very well with varnish as i did the entire form.
its works pretty well.
not as quick as a formica strip- but quicker than waiting for the post to come by ferry!
glue holding up great!!

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
Contact cement gives instant stick.  make sure you are lined up straight.  suggest practice on something else.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
what i do with contact- old trick from saddle building. i use clear (clean!!!)heavy  builders plastic, and divide the area i want to glue in half, cover each area with a piece of the plastic.lay the part to be glued down on top of the plastic.
you can see through the plastic, to get things lined up perfectly- pull the one piece of plastic a way a bit, and contact that exposed area in the middle, if everything is good, hold the other half down with the plastic in between, pull the other piece of plastic out and contact that half of the product completely. once it is secure- pull out the other plastic, and contact that area.

make sense??!!
sounds a bit garbled to me!!

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
Thx for the tips! All makes sense! Ive got enough material to make 2 forms so doing the first 1 with Kenny's design and the other will be a mild D/R!

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 10:51:00 PM »
Where did you get the mild rd design from?

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 02:13:00 AM »
i just had the strip on my deflex/reflex form lift up. It was done with contact cement and only did four bows. Decided to go with smooth on, so will see how that holds up.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 05:59:00 AM »
Fujimo, the mild  rd came from binghams, I ordered the hose and form kit with a 64" rd blue print. Wanted to do a couple of different bows just for craps and laughs!! So heads up Kenny, when I get your design built I'll be ordering more materials for the mild rd!!

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
Bob, I use a high temp rated contact cement. One recurve form i have is nearly 5 years old and has reverse tapers and 040 glass glued down with spray can contact cement..the 3M "High Strength 90" contact cement I use has held up..so far

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©