Author Topic: W.O. Pyramid flipped tips board bow...another crack :(  (Read 683 times)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: W.O. Pyramid flipped tips board bow...another crack :(
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
I have heat treated red oak with suprisingly positive results ... makes a real bow wood out of it. I'd imagine white oak will also respond very well.

It is likely to change the tiller though, because it's nearly impossible to heat treat it uniformally, but the tillering should be really minor.

You could potentially gain ALOT of weight with heat tempering oak. I wouldn't be suprised if you gained 10lbs ... probably more like 5-7lbs.

If you do decide to heat treat, make sure you do it with the bow clampsed to a form so it doesn't twist etc. Also be casreful not to let the back get toasted, it can cause tension failure if the back is heat treated at all.

Good luck.

Offline Vgo750

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
I went ahead and did me some heat treating.  One limb at a time like so:

I was very conservative with the reflex I bent the bow into and...complete success!  left limb finished and right limb for comparison:

The right limb turned out pretty good also but didn't quite hold as much reflex/straightening.  What a learning experience this bow has been!  I never realized how simple 1) steam bending a bow is and 2) heat treating bows is.  I will probably do both to all my builds going forward.

Offline Vgo750

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
Well while shooting the bow in I noticed a crack on the back.  

It's really not all that deep so i'm thinking I can still save her.  After picking up some good weight via heat treating I am currently sitting at 52@28.  I have a couple good hickory backing strips I cut a while back...good grain.  Can I sand down the back of the bow all the way past the crack and then glue up one of those backings?  I would be fine with a high 50's or low 60's bow but I don't want to pick up TOO much weight.  I figure that I will drop several lbs by sanding down past the crack before glue up.  Has anyone ever experienced a crack like this and remedied with a backing?

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
I have had bows develop splinters similar to that - I super glued them back down and backed with rawhide.  I suppose you would be able to sand down and back with a strip of hickory too.  What is that cute little thing in the back ground?    ;)
Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 11:49:00 PM »
Looks like part of his tribe, Mitch.  LOL!

I've glued a splinter down and then glued a hickory backing on with success.  I'd do it again if the splinter isn't too deep.

Good luck. It's a nice looking bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©