Author Topic: scars bow swap blog  (Read 1347 times)

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
scars bow swap blog
« on: January 19, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
This bow is for Mr.**** ,

Kelly, You did good. Thanks for all the advise and tips.

With just over a year of experience in making bows, I know enough to just get myself into trouble. So if anyone sees something that looks questionable to them please let me know.

My first thought for Mr.**** was a horn and sinew bow. But I would be cutting it close and if it failed then what? I only have to June. I do have the Asian steppe bow I could redo the sinew the that got chewed on by something down in the basement. But it still requires seasoning.

This leaves me with an all wood laminate bow. I think if I follow the 1- 1.5% rule for wood I can make a good solid composite lever bow. I have been looking at PA's bow gallery and James Parker has some horn bows that could be converted to an all wood laminate bow.

http://s28.photobucket.com/user/coaster500/slideshow/Bow%20Racks%20Members%20of%20Primative%20Archery/?albumview=slideshow

tile 17, 6th bow down looks doable

Over at atarn one topic by Pat Menzies has a picture of one that I have wanted to try for awhile.
  [/url] [/IMG]

His bow is ipe and has a ash backing with nice levers.  

Then there is blackhawks lever bows over at PA and I do have one piece of yew that has seasoned for a little over a year. And one osage stave.

Mr. **** was a little vague in his likes and needs so I think I will try the bow in the picture if that does not survive I do have some options.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: scars bow swap blog
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
Well mr scars i definetly dont have one like that... And it would be cool.  I have also drooled over blackhawks lever bows... So if youre tryin to make ME happy youre on the right track!

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
That certainly is a interesting bow.
Anyone would be happy with that design.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
I never realized How many Mr. **** there were until I entered the bow swap.  :bigsmyl:  Almost as common as $*&$%#.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »
Scars I can't wait to see this one come to life. Good luck and happy building.

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by Echatham:
Well mr scars i definetly dont have one like that... And it would be cool.  I have also drooled over blackhawks lever bows... So if youre tryin to make ME happy youre on the right track!
LOL  I drool when I sleep now.

Blackhawks' bow are mostly selfbows I told Kelly I would make a wood composite. But if panic sets in. You never know.

I was just out in the shop drawing the bow core onto some Ipe. It looks like I can get 15"-16" of active limb. With a siyah of 8" I think I will be under the 1%.

And Eric this could be your bow If at a later date you see it backed and bellied with pvc. Then you will know....

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 07:12:00 PM »
:laughing:  ill be watching!

Offline redbeard126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 08:49:00 PM »
Yes I was a little vague in my likes and needs...but I like and need that!

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 10:50:00 PM »
That's a beautiful design, and the one I am most comfortable shooting.  Finish it with a nice thin leather or snakeskin wrap and send her to me!

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 11:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by macbow:
That certainly is a interesting bow.
Anyone would be happy with that design.
Thanks Macbow,
I'd be happy with that big ole set of horns in your picture.

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 11:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by redbeard126:
Yes I was a little vague in my likes and needs...but I like and need that!
Aren't we all redbeard, But subtleness will get you nowhere. Man I got this picture of you with a long flowing red beard blowing in the wind right across the fletchings as you release the arrow   :archer:

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by halfseminole:
That's a beautiful design, and the one I am most comfortable shooting.  Finish it with a nice thin leather or snakeskin wrap and send her to me!
halfSeminole I'm not sure if I could add two more limbs to this one. Thought you liked those four limbed helicopter bows that gets drawn coast to coast.

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 11:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by KellyG:
Scars I can't wait to see this one come to life. Good luck and happy building.
Thanks Kelly   :goldtooth:  I'm really enjoying this.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 06:15:00 AM »
Very nice..

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 12:14:00 PM »
Eh, I'll try making one of those myself.  I've got pics of myself with my PVC horse bow around here somewhere, but I gave that to my brother, since he shoots targets and needed a new bow.  I learned thumb rings somewhere, didn't I?

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 07:06:00 PM »
halfseminole

You Shoot with a thumbring? I have a leather, a brass one and a PVC ring. Believe it or not the PVC is my favorite.

Okay, on to the build. I will get the pictures up then explain my thought processes.

Everything is cut to rough block dimensions. I will do a glue up tonight.

first pic an over all mock up
  [/url] [/IMG]

this pic is a close up of the handle
  [/url] [/IMG]

next two pictures are both siyahs
  [/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

So after looking at this picture for a long time I reakly couldn't see how he glued his siyahs to the limb. I believe I can vaguely see a fish tail joint on the belly, but the back is squared off. My conclusion he added gussets to each side of the V on the back.
  [/url] [/IMG]  

I changed the sals so I would have less time doing the rasping sanding and all the tweaking needed. At the eye I will either make a fish tail or a W joint where it attaches to the limb. The belly side is going to be visible so I need to decide if I want more contrast with the W joint or a cleaner, simple look with a single V.
I used flat sawn Ipe dadoed into the maple to make another contrast and to keep more of a I beam look to help add strength.

Most of the handle will be covered with the grip. I kept that true to Pats picture.

The limbs or sals are 1 3/8" wide 5/16" thick at the handle fade, and 3/16"  at the kasan.  

Tonight I will glue the handle on and glue up the parts of the siyahs. When they are cured I will cut the joint to connect them to the limbs.

scars

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
Scars,
Never seen one of these built gonna be a treat watching your progress!

Cory

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
Heartlandbowyer,

I've made 3 sinew back horn bows but never made a all wood horse bow. They say a bow is 9-10ths broken. So I will certainly be pushing my skills to the limits with this one. The Ipe is one of the straightest grain I have ever had. The hickory backing came from a batch that has never gave me any heartache. So with salt over my shoulder I'm going for it.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 12:19:00 AM »
Yeah, I shoot thumb or pinch style, depending on my arthritis that day.  Thumbring is easier on my hands, but I haven't found one I like after losing my bone one in the move out here.  Thought about making a rawhide one, as all the bone I have now is too small, and I don't have a horn of the right size I can sacrifice.  It might have to be PVC for me, as well.  I have very long fingers, so I had one I made that I really liked, as all the others were short.  I learned long ago how to shoot with the shelf "normal" and not fling arrows everywhere, so there's that.  My horsebow had a bent PVC rest on either side for convenience.  Think I want a new one of those.

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 12:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
Very nice..
Thanks Roy,

Siyahs and Handles glued and ready to put into the hot box.

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©