Author Topic: scars bow swap blog  (Read 1348 times)

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: scars bow swap blog
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »
I've got some preflattened PVC sheet here.  In fact, I can make a BUNCH of it if someone wants to try it.  I use it in prop building (which is how I make what little money I get, that and sculpting/carving) and it's pretty flexible, but part of what imparts the strength is the curve of the material itself.  I dunno what it would be like grooved for a horn bow, but I'm willing to see if I can make one, if I can find the wood.  I have the sinew as well, or I can make some up and send it to someone to try (they'd have to pay shipping, I'm flat busted-my disability has still not been approved and I haven't sold enough lately) but I'm planning a new PVC bow as we speak anyway.  It seems to be the material I have the best luck with.

Offline MoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 06:59:00 PM »
LOL PVC facings as substitute for horn would be the joke of the year... cool!
But isn`t it hard to glue especially with wood?

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
Pheonixarcher

Thanks welcome to the blog.

To all,

Criticism is help. Tips tricks and advice always helps.

Moe

No headache a little saw dust can't cure.

I also have no idea if PVC will work as a backing or as a belly substitute. I do know that however good it may be as a low cost alternative it is photo sensitive so it wood have to be covered.
Adams book talks about making the wood core convex on the belly side and shapeing the horn to a concave profile that's mates to the core. I think that is how the PVC would have the best chance of success. Basically a rounded belly.

So I will post the pictures then explain them:

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

[/url] [/IMG]

The first picture shows the V splice. I decided to sand the point of the splice flat up about one inch. My thoughts on that, figured with 3 sides glued it would be stronger. The backing is also shaped to fit around this area as a gusset and to assist the core, siyah glue up.
Second picture shows the dry fit.
Third picture shows more weight reduction of the siyahs.

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
HalfSeminole

I have a Kentucky Coffee tree stave roughed out and siyahs glued in place. No horn no sinew on it. It is yours if you post the results of your PVC testing.

Offline WestTexan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2014, 10:31:00 PM »
Nice build going and thanks for posting it. One of these days I'm gonna give it a try.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2014, 10:07:00 PM »
I'm doing some further reading, but my initial thoughts are that it would fail over time, not spectacularly all at once.  PVC is viscoelastic.  As horn is a fibrous material, and keratin itself is both flexible and slightly stretchy, we have a materials mismatch.  My initial research (I have more white papers to read) leads me to think it doesn't have a snowball's chance in a microwave, but I'm gonna do some more experimenting here anyway.  I have an awful lot of the stuff.

Offline halfseminole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
Bumping this with a real find-the entire translated  Saracen Archery.  It's long, so settle in for a while.  I speak a bit of Arabic, but the culture I understand a bit better (read the qu'ran in Arabic, for my theology classes) so if something obscure is confusing, I'll answer as far as I'm able-some still escapes me.

http://pgmagirlscouts.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/saracen_archery.pdf

The URL looks fake, but it's the real thing.  Figured those interested in this style would like the definitive treatise on Turkish archery.

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
I've always wanted to make the cross bow in there.

Ya I'm not to optimistic about PVC. I do want to give it and honest attempt but only after I get done with all the other bows I want to try and make.

I do have my backing glued on will take pictures this week end. On Call work has really spoiled my play time during the work week.

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2014, 11:38:00 PM »
I glued my backing on with one inch of reflex.
  [/url] [/IMG]  

Narrowed the tips some more.

[/url] [/IMG]  

[/url] [/IMG]

I have never seen anyone post this so I figured I would.
This is a sheetrock tape, but not fiberglass. It is called fiberfuse and you can get it at homedepot. Next to the paper and fiberglass sheetrock tape.
I've used it on a couple of bows and it looks a bit like raw hide if used with TB3. And it makes a good safety backing.

[/url] [/IMG]

Time to glue it on and then I will post the results.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2014, 12:48:00 AM »
If you want some nice thin deer rawhide, I could send you some.
Not interfering , just offering   :D .

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2014, 01:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by fujimo:
If you want some nice thin deer rawhide, I could send you some.
Not interfering , just offering    :D  .
Heck, with that kind of interfering, interfere all you want   :)  I wanted to use this type of backing to just give an option instead of fiberglass tape. Also I wanted to have a safety backing so I can start to tiller. I have plans of using some birch bark on the finishing touches.

PM me what you would like for enough for a couple of bows.

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2014, 04:52:00 AM »
re:

what is this sheetrock tape? really wonder. it is not drywall tape isn't it?

can you give us some more sample that you made on bow?
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by inksoup:
re:

what is this sheetrock tape? really wonder. it is not drywall tape isn't it?

can you give us some more sample that you made on bow?
Yes, it is just drywall tape. In locations where mold is prevalent. It helps to reduce the chance of mold growth.

This is the only bow I have pictures of that I used fiberfuse underneath the skins.
  [/url] [/IMG]

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2014, 12:57:00 PM »
Here is Mr.**** bow blank with the safety backing glued on and a piece of clarified deer raw hide laying across the backing to compare.
Not a perfect match but close, for a person wanting to try out making a bow but not wanting to spend the money on rawhide it is a better product then the fiberglass sheetrock tape.

[/url] [/IMG]

I will let the blank dry for a few days before I start to tiller.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2014, 02:57:00 PM »
Scars looking good thanks for the tip on a backing option.

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2014, 01:38:00 AM »
Thanks Kelly
I tried fiberglass sheetrock tape once and sanded it off the next day. Figured this would work better or at least look better.

Next on Mr. **** bow, make a tillering string and get it on the vice. I have also been thinking about making some bamboo arrows to go with her.

How do you make a footed bamboo arrow? I'll have to think on that one.

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2014, 11:49:00 PM »
Long sigh,,,
I have not done anything on her this week.

Offline Jorgy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2014, 08:18:00 PM »
Nice bows Scars,particularly the one on the tailgate.Course the other one ain't finished.

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jorgy:
Nice bows Scars,particularly the one on the tailgate.Course the other one ain't finished.
The guy who has that bow sits on his porch and tries to shoot pocket gophers in his yard.   :)
If I remember right it is 47# at 28", 54" n2n, gemsbok horn belly, sinew under cobra skin.

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »
Today I tillered Mr. ****s bow, Shot sixty arrows though her. Shaped the handle area. Tomorrow I will do some more shaping sanding and shoot some more arrows. Post pictures tomorrow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©