Author Topic: Krystal issue/question  (Read 459 times)

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Krystal issue/question
« on: January 19, 2014, 01:45:00 PM »
I ordered up some Krystal from Big Jim and sprayed my first bow with it yesterday. I could not achieve anything more than an orange peel finish with it.  I've read before that the stuff is supposed to be super-easy to work with so I'm wondering what went wrong.  The two things that are suspect in my mind - I used a Preval sprayer, and the temp in my basement where I sprayed is probably around 60 degrees.  Could either, or both of these contribute to the orange peel finish or did I do something else wrong?  I wound up sanding everything off ans started over with True-Oil today.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Krystal issue/question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
I use a preval sprayer and when its gets close to the 60 mark they all start acting funny in the preval.  I just keep thinning till I get it right.  the first couple coats usually soak right in and then I even them out with steel wool.  I'm using the buffalo hide.

I dont think its the finish I think its the sprayer... I have same issues sometimes with diff types of finishes.  both Tbird and Buffalo hide.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »
I'm not familiar with Krystal, but 60 degrees is borderline for lots of spray finishes.

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 05:21:00 PM »
The temperature is marginal and I think you are laying down too much material in one coat.

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 05:32:00 PM »
Tbird and buffalo hide are the same.
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »
Thanks for the responses, guys.

Trux - wouldn't too much in one coat result in runs?  I didn't have a single run, but after 4 coats, still had orange peel look.

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
Thats my problem is I seem to always lay down too much

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
With Krystal you can put down too much with out any runs- when this happens to me I let it cure for 20-30 minutes and then lightly sand and reapply. I apply a 5-6 light coats (heavier to the riser) and then the final coat I back up some and fog the bow which gives it a textured finish- that finish can be smoothed out the next day with steel wool or fine sand paper.

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 08:24:00 PM »
Thanks for that, Trux.  I'll give it another shot on the next bow.  I'm now into my 4th coat of tru-oil and don't feel like starting over again - although I may if I can't get the sheen down.  The gloss finish looks really nice, but not something I want in a hunting bow.

Eric

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
Maybe this will save someone some aggravation some day.  After about 4 coats of tru-oil, the finish started to look pretty nice, but way too glossy for my liking and I decided to give the Krystal another shot.  I mixed up it up and brought is upstairs so it would be warmer than the 60 degrees in the basement.  Take 2 out of the Preval sprayer worked like a champ in combination with going a little lighter than the first time around.  I really do thin the temp was the culprit though.  Moral of the story....don't try to spray Krystal in 60 degree temperatures.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
I thin my Krystal 20-25% with slow drying lacquer thinner. Seems to lay down better.
High on Archery.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 11:16:00 AM »
When spraying auto finishes I have found that if the paint is not thinned properly and the air pressure is too high you will get orange peal in the finish. The cold temp could also cause problems.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 07:33:00 AM »
All finish can act up when it is too cool. Careful on thinning krystal...at least without using there thinner. Ml cambell suggests spraying as is and to refrain from more than three coats. I know a bowyer who thinned his Krystal (don't know with what but it wasn't krystal thinner). On the first rainy day he displayed them, they all developed a foggy appearance that didn't go away.

If you let most any finish get too thick on a flexible object such as a bow, it has a tendency to crack (not noticed this with buffalo hide/aka tbird).
I am unfamiliar with a Preval gun as I use an automotive gun. I also heat my spray booth to about 75-80 degrees (shop temp is set at 72 usually)

As I have had no complaints on the Krystal (all new and fresh), I would be assured that the temp was the culprit.
good luck, bigjim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 07:38:00 AM »
All finish can act up when it is too cool. Careful on thinning krystal...at least without using there thinner. Ml cambell suggests spraying as is and to refrain from more than three coats. I know a bowyer who thinned his Krystal (don't know with what but it wasn't krystal thinner). On the first rainy day he displayed them, they all developed a foggy appearance that didn't go away.

If you let most any finish get too thick on a flexible object such as a bow, it has a tendency to crack (not noticed this with buffalo hide/aka tbird).
I am unfamiliar with a Preval gun as I use an automotive gun. I also heat my spray booth to about 75-80 degrees (shop temp is set at 72 usually)

As I have had no complaints on the Krystal (all new and fresh), I would be assured that the temp was the culprit.
good luck, bigjim

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 12:51:00 PM »
Jim, what air pressure do you spray with and what % do you thin it too.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
I spray my bows with Buffalo Hide (aka thunderbird) epoxy and thin to 33% or one third thinner  the first couple of coats and then about 25% for the next two.

When I do spray Krystal, I don't thin at all.

thanks, bigjim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©