Author Topic: Shaping shelf and sight window  (Read 284 times)

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Shaping shelf and sight window
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
I have 3 bows under my belt now, and one of my biggest struggles is with the shelf and sight.  Seems that any time I take the rasp to one, I dig into the other and I'm left trying to clean up a nasty gouge.  How do you guys go about shaping your shelves and sight windows?

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shaping shelf and sight window
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
i do the transition from shelf to window with a chainsaw file, so than i stay away with other rasps and files at least that far- so i dont need to get right in the corner.
 i did mine first so the riser id still a nice solid block- easy to clamp in the vice- then i make sure i always have two hands on the tool  :eek:  
i also made a block with a flat back, and a concave surface to match the bows back- so i dont damage the back of the bow during clamping- spread the load evenly- and i have wooden jaws for my vice.
another thing i do- say for the shelf- if i only want to file in say 1/2 " my file is 1.25 wide- well i hold my left hand on the side, (with my right being the main power stroke with the file),so that my fingers curl under the file, and grip the file underneath and thumb on top to act like a guide against the riser, so that the file cant go too deep.

and go slow-
just what i do- hope it wasnt too boringly detailed.- no insult intended- just explaining
wayne

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 04:30:00 PM »
Thanks, I like the chainsaw file idea.  Anyone else have a technique they'd care to share?

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
I use a battery powered drill and a disc sander attachment. I cut out the sight window with a band saw and the shelf with a hacksaw, then CAREFULLY shape it with the disc( 80 grit). I clamp the bow and use both hands on the drill. It takes some practice but to me it works best. This is one I did recently.

Offline BenM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 08:15:00 PM »
I have a 1"x42" belt sander that I used to remove most of the material for the sight window.  A chainsaw file for the transition between shelf and sight and cut the depth of the shelf with a hacksaw.  Cut the shelf high and rasped a radius to it.  Will do it that way again.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
I have a very coarse file ground "safe" on one edge.  It allows a tight corner at shelf/window juncture.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
I rough it out with a sanding sleeve chucked in my drill press and clean up the transition area with files and coarse sandpaper.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©