Author Topic: First bow build (need advice)  (Read 520 times)

Offline swamhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
First bow build (need advice)
« on: January 27, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
Hey guys I have started on my first bow and I wanted some advice on the tillering of it. I have worked so hard on it this process makes me so nervous. I have attached a picture please let me know what you think of it. I don't really want to back it with anything but if you think i should let me know. Its red oak with cherry tips. Also is it bad to sand on a bow, all I see is people talking about scrapping it? just curious. Thanks guys
Dustin simpkins
Daniel 2:38

Offline swamhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First bow build (need advice)
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
whoops this would be handy

Dustin simpkins

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 11:24:00 AM »
You can sand, it's just really slow. Scrape to get the tiller, and sand to get it ready to apply finish.

Is the bow a pyramid shape? if so I think you're stiff from midlimb out on both limbs, moreso on the right. Be careful of hinges at the fades, again moreso on the right limb.

Looking pretty good so far though, no really obvious hinges.

Try making/using a tillering gizmo. It makes life easier.

Offline swamhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
Yes it is a pyramid style bow and I got a tillering gizmo that I am making for it. The whole stringing thing makes me nervous. its 67" tip to tip so i ordered a 63" string for it. I think I have gotten it far enough that I can string it and start tillering it with that. Thank you so much for your advice I appreciate it. I have already got plans in my head for the next bow I'm going to make now lol
Dustin simpkins

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 01:11:00 PM »
Sounds like you're hooked if you're already planning the next one    :)   Welcome to the addiction.  I always get nervous when I first string them to brace height and even more nervous as I tiller them to full draw.  Good luck, go slow, and keep us posted.  Looking good so far    :thumbsup:
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline swamhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 02:17:00 PM »
hahaha yea its bad, I was in church yesterday and was looking at the wood floor thinking that grain would work, that grain won't work hahaha
Dustin simpkins

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 04:58:00 PM »
It only gets worse. We had a box of flooring left over from our living room. I had planned to save it in case the floor ever needed repairs. All gone now. Nice straight grained jatoba.    :o    :archer:    
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
I would post more pics up as you go. And get it on a shorter string. And if you are going to be making bows you should learn to make the strings to. That way you are not waiting on strings.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 07:37:00 PM »
Dustin, the left limb looks stiff. As stated, go slow, post pics, and good luck.

And Kelly is right about making your strings. It isn't difficult.

Welcome!

Offline swamhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 09:08:00 PM »
yea I want to learn to make them, I have watched a few videos on making one just haven't sat down and really tried. I started to make a board that laid it all out for me but I was just ready to keep working on the bow. I will post more pictures as I go on, it will have to be the weekend before I can work on it again since the wife doesn't want saw dust in the house and it freezing outside hahaha.
Dustin simpkins

Offline swamhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
updated pic this is pulled to 29" but the string was about 2-3" longer then what I need. What you fellas think?

Dustin simpkins

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
long strings will lie to ya!!!
one should get it on the correct length string as soon as you can get it strung around 6" or so.
long strings will give you a "false tiller"- they are ok to get the bow bending initially- then change to a shorter string.

even if you just build endless loop strings- very easy and quick to build. and build one with a bowyers knot in the bottom, then it is adjustable as you go

bend looks really good right now- but that might change a bit as you shorten the string- but remember the shape you have- thats kinda what you want!!!

really good job so far!!   :thumbsup:

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
also never ever draw past your intended finish weight- so dont just draw it to say 29" and reduce weight until you hit your mark- that will induce excessive set.
hit your weight, at whatever the draw length is and just keep reducing wood slightly so that you can increase the draw length until you hit your d/l.

never leave those wooden bows on a tillering stick- in fact i have stopped using a tillering stick at all( just me!!!) leaving them at full draw, while you study the shape and take pics, will induce a lot of set- if not break it!!!!!!
seen lots of bows break like that!
build a tillering tree with a pulley , a scale and a rope so that you can view it at a distance- pull to full draw look for a second and release- the limbs moving and coming to full draw are also a help.
 pull to draw- get someone else to snap a pic, let down. i wont hold my bows at full draw for longet than 2 sec as that what i need to settle into my shot "aim" and release. changing to shooting'Rick welch' style has helped me hugely with my shooting

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
here a trick i have learnt on here ( amoungst many many others i have learnt on here!!) the last few inches of draw while i am still tillering- i get the bow off the tree, get an old arrow- mark the drawlength i am at- with some tape, draw until i feel the tape on my bow hand- and either get someone to snap a pic- or do it in front of the mirror- (had a problem with the mirror deal, as i found it very hard to maintain good form , and come to full draw in my batman suit while lying on my bed   :scared:  )

seriously though a mirror or a picture- because the tiller might change again slightly with your draw as apposed to the tree- that the only way to get it perfect.- make a fishing rod holder- or sumpin' with the tillering stick   :D

Offline swamhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
hahaha thanks fujimo, My draw length is about 29" so I wasn't going to go past that. I love the pully idea, I'm going to do that when I get me a shop. Do you have a link on how to build a endless loop string? I'm using 200# bowfishing line and that stuff stretches more then you would think. One more question, is it not good to stain a bow and then  use clear coat on it? I see stain then rub oil on it but I never see anyone use clear coat which I assume is because it would crack or something.

Thanks again Fujimo
Dustin simpkins

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
A lot of guys on here use clear polyurethane in a rattle can or Thunderbird over stain with good results.  I do the same as fujimo; take pictures and stand in front of a mirror to check tiller.  I am way jealous 'cuz I don't have cool Batman pj's, though.    :cool:   IMHO a picture works better for me because I can take the time to study it.
Here's a link to a Flemish twist build along.  Like fujimo said, you can always make it long and tie a bowyer's knot on one end.

https://www.rmsgear.com/store/pc/tutorial_string_2bundle.asp
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline swamhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2014, 02:08:00 PM »
Thanks takefive I appreciate it, i know some people dont like the shine but I'm kinda a fan haha.
Dustin simpkins

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
The guys above are right about making your own strings-- saves a lot of time and money, and you can tweak string length to get it just right.

Flemish strings are very easy to make.  You don't need a fancy jig.  I use a one of the vertical 2x4s in the wall framing in my basement as my "jig".  I've got 2 finishing nails 1" apart at the top (I build 2-bundle flemish strings), and several pairs of holes at varying distances from the top holes (I put finishing nails in the appropriate pair of bottom holes).  I add 14" or 15" to the actual string length I want to end up with, and that's how far apart I space the pairs of nails.  Tie a small loop at the end of each spool of B50 or whatever string material you're using, slip the loop over the top or bottom nail (depends on whether you'll have odd or even number of strands in each bundle), and wrap the string material up and down over the left-side top and bottom nails until you have desired # of strands.  Repeat with the other color of string material around the right-side pair of nails.  Wax the 2 bundles to hold each one together, slip the bundles off the bottom nails (leave them hanging from the top nails), then start twisting and overlaying as shown in one of the videos.  Trickiest part is doing the lower loop, but it's easy once you've done one or 2.  Or you can just do a bowyer's knot for the bottom loop.

Offline Mark Smeltzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 09:37:00 PM »
I think fujimo was saying not to pull past Your intended weight. When you get set up with the pulley system, put a scale on the end that attaches to your bow string....now you will see inches drawn and weight at the same time.

Mark

Offline swamhuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 09:36:00 AM »

Got it strung. David helped me out and made me a sweet string for it when its finished. I'm still tillering and exercising it right now.
Dustin simpkins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©