Author Topic: writing on lam under glass?  (Read 196 times)

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
writing on lam under glass?
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:08:00 PM »
can I write on the lams with a sharpie before the glue is applied and then Glue it up? iam gluing up a bocote lam bow which will be under clear glass.  I wasn't sure if the glue would cause it to run our not? although as I type this, it hit me, I won't have draw weight specs because I won't know how the bow will finish out as far as weight! Lol

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: writing on lam under glass?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
I think you would have runs because any ink is gonna want to bleed into the sanded wood. Enamel paint pen you could probably do though. Like you said specs are gonna be a bit off though but maybe a design or name would work.

Cory

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: writing on lam under glass?
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Not sure what finish you plan to use.
I know that with minwax wipe on poly ( oil based) you can put your first few coats on, wait till it dries, write on it with a sharpie, then put more coats of the poly on top of the writing.

The wipe on hasn't smeared the sharpie ink at all when I've tried it.
I've only done it on 3 bows and 2 test pieces.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©