Author Topic: Rift vs 1/4 sawn ...Anyone tried kustom kings hickory backings?  (Read 291 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Rift vs 1/4 sawn ...Anyone tried kustom kings hickory backings?
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:15:00 AM »
Hey gang,

have any of you tried Kustom kings hickory backings?

They say they're rift sawn.
I've looked up the difference between rift and quarter sawn.
From the pics and descriptions I've found, looks like 6 of one 1/2 doz the other for which has the grain running 90˚ to the wide surface.

Thanks
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rift vs 1/4 sawn ...Anyone tried kustom kings hickory backings?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
Rift will work son.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »
this may just be some of the pieces i used, but they were edge or 1/4 sawn- and they always seem to have a little bit of fiber sticking up after flexing the bow- very very tiny- and maybe a different finish would hold those fiber ends down. but the bows never bust!!!
i only use flat or bias/rift sawn now

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 07:22:00 PM »
The problem with 1/4 sawn is that straight "grain" lines only means the wood fibers are aligned with the front profile of the bow. It doesn't guarantee that the fibers are t angled from back to belly. Flat grain or rift allow you to see both more easily.

So my take is that there's no mechanical difference in the potential strength, just a logistic difference in determining quality.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
Thanks a lot guys.

:thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©