Author Topic: New Addict  (Read 285 times)

Offline Staton

• Trad Bowhunter
New Addict
« on: February 04, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
Almost finished with my first board bow thanks to Sam Harper (Hey, Sam!) and I am totally obsessed with building bows. Since I was a kid I knew if someone else could build it, I could do it too, so here I am.
You all seem like a really good group who is respectful and helpful so I'm joining this outfit and becoming hopelessly addicted.

I have SO many questions but I am very excited about making bows. Especially some recurves from Kennym.

BTW, can I go from a few board bows to recurve action or would you suggest a more gradual rise in obsession?

Thanks for having me and a proud howdy to all of you.   :archer:
"Experience is something you get right after you needed it."

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Addict
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 09:14:00 PM »
Howdy!  I am happy to be an enabler.  :-)

Maybe you should try a reflex deflex before going to recurve.  The curvier bows get, the harder they are to tiller.  Of course that's not as much of an issue with fiberglass bows since they practically tiller themselves.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Offline Staton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
I can't stand tillering so some fibreglass lams would be just what I am looking for. My tillering didn't go well on my first bow. I got a recurrent hinge on one limb and had to take too much wood off so it curves back toward you. If I take more off the other limb it will end up just as bad. I will build more board bows and will learn from my mistakes but I like recurves and am really interested in them.

You ARE an enabler, Sam!...and I thank you for it.

Offline Sam Harper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
Have you tried using the tillering gizmo?  They're easy to make, and they make tillering a board bow uber easy.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
Tillering gizmo is the way to go for sure.
Besides if you had no trouble with the first one you wouldn't have learned anything
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 09:52:00 PM »
Welcome aboard

Offline Staton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 10:15:00 PM »
Thanks, guys.
I didn't use the tillering gizmo because I thought I had an "eye for it"...well I don't, so next bow it's tillering giszmo.

And yes, macbow, you are totally right! I have seen many mistakes I have made and will use that knowledge on the next one.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
sorry to say mate...yer on your own here!!
we all have this very part time, recreational hobby fully under control. you need to see a therapist. i know a crazee ol' one in Pa.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 06:01:00 AM »
Welcome to our obsession and congrats on your first bow.

You dont have to start with wooden bows. If you want to make glass bows, make glass bows. I made glass/wood longbows and recurves before I started messing with selfbows and backed all-wooden ones. They're different enough that neither is a necessary prerequisite for the other.

Offline Sidmand

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »
Board bows - the gateway drug.  Next thing you know you will be staring at trees in the highway median wondering if there is an Osage in there, or staring at that old hickory tree in your yard and wondering if you can drop it and split it without it falling on your house, or looking at that old crepe myrtle in the back yard and thinking "that would make one AWESOME character bow".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©