Author Topic: Riser Woods?  (Read 375 times)

Offline D.A. Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
Riser Woods?
« on: February 11, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
For you experienced bowyers, what is the criteria for making a good wood for use in risers?  I know some woods are too soft, or brittle.  Others may just be too heavy.  How do you know what not to use in a riser?
Genesis 21:20 - "And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer"

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Riser Woods?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Actually, heavy is a good thing, reduces handshock. Pretty much any hardwood will work in a riser.  Just align the grain so it runs back to belly. Some are better than others, but none will fail if designed right! If you're going purely for strength, something with straight tight grain is going to be best.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 05:55:00 PM »
x2

any reasonable hardwood is more than adequate unless you're trying to make some super skinny riser.

I think one guy made one from ERC, which is not strong by any measure of the word, it was just a little bulkier than usual.

alot of the common riser woods are ridiculously heavy and hard ... cocobolo is the perfect example ... that stuff is like a rock.

Wenge (hard and stiff but a little prone to cracking I think) doesn't seem to have interlocked grain at all.

maple .... obviously

hickory, oak, locust, osage, all the rosewoods liek kingwood, tulipwood, brazilian, etc ... shedua (personal favorite), redheart, ebony of all varities, purpleheart, ipe

basically anything other than softwoods and polar and I wouldn;t worry too much. When in doubt add phenolic I-beam!

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 07:40:00 PM »
As noted, any good sound piece of hardwood can work. I've used a lot of different woods for risers in both longbows and recurves and never had one fail for any reason.

I try to use woods with a specific gravity over 50-60.. but prefer higher. I like them quartersawn front to back for strength which is hidden under the lams, with the flatsawn showing off the grain on the sides.

There are so many options... you can get any look you wish. Which one I choose depends on what I plan to use under the clear glass.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
I agree with the heavier is better notion.  In the hill style longbows I build, I can notice a difference in the amount of thump upon release between woods.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Swissbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
I can't think of a wood being to heavy to use in a riser. Helps reduce handshock.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 02:20:00 AM »

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 09:11:00 AM »
x3

although I recently bought a 5/4 kingwood board and it's possibly the hardest heaviest wood I've ever seen. teh 1 bd ft I bought must weight over 5lbs ... kinda like ipe in weight. Also recently got my first cocobolo riser blocks and they also are ridiculously hard. They all sound more like metal than wood when you tap them.

I have this 2x4x8' ipe board I still need to rip into belly lams and if you hit it with your knuckle (not too hard) it rings incredibly clear ... suprised no one is making guitar necks from this stuff ...

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 10:29:00 AM »
They don't seem so heavy to me. I guess it depends on what you're used to and what tools ya use.

I love kingwood, probably my favorite riser wood. I also recently bought some gordeous kingwood veneers that are gonna look sweet under clear glass.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
Jeff, I own essentially no power tools so cutting cocobolo by hand will remind you exactly how hard it is. I once ripped a set of ipe lams with a hand saw and I will never forget that or do it again. To say it sucked is an understatement.

Anyway, I think cocobolo kingwood and ipe are all around 1.0sg ... so I don't know if it gets much heavier unless you go to g-10 or something.

I also love kingwood, looking forward to seeing some of those veneers on a bow.

The board I have is 5/4 x 4 x 3' so I think I'm going to rip 1.5" off the side of the board, then rip that into hopefully 4 1.5" x .200 x 36" slats that I wanna try as belly slats. The rest will be turned into risers, hopefully 3 risers with I-beams.

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 06:18:00 PM »
Guys

Any source for king wood?

That would be fairly dry?.

Thank you

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
I'd call Mike at  www.rosewoodarchery.com

Great guy to work with.

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 04:34:00 PM »

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
Thank you guys, I'm considering buying a riser block and sending it to my bowyer...  

Not sure if it makes sense or not.

Offline critter69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »
Iam a new be, and I had a couple risers fail. Then I started making them with two 1/8" phynalic lambs in the riser and have not had one of those fail. I just find a wood I realy like and use it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©