Author Topic: Kennys woods for Trilam  (Read 400 times)

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
Kennys woods for Trilam
« on: February 12, 2014, 03:54:00 PM »
I am a royal ranger commander within the fcf and have been asked to teach a few workshops helping young men build and tiller their own bows. At first I did not think I could do that as all I build are glass bows and the material costs are too much for the number of bows needed.

I put a call in to Kenny and after talking to him I believe building a trilam would meet all our needs and come in under cost.

All that said I have never built a trilam but have been researching it and will build a few before having the workshop.

For ease of construction I want to stay with domestic woods. I am planning on a walnut core and  osage for the belly, but I am not sure what to use for the back since I am not wanting to use Bamboo. Kenny is out of pignut hickory or I would use it.

Here is what Kenny has to choose from as a possible backer; red elm ash cherry hard maple and jatoba. Would any of these be good for a backer with a walnut core and osage belly?
Time is the crucible of a man's integrity.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kennys woods for Trilam
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
Maple would be my choice of those mentioned.

How many youngsters will be participating? Roy and I and a few others prepped a bunch hickory backed hickory bows at my place one time for a big bunch of Boy Scouts. They weren't tri-lams, but they were quick to make, inexpensive, and easy to tiller. I also made a bunch of portable tillering trees on 2x4's, cradle on top, pulley on the bottom, for the kids to use, so they didn't all have to wait in line for a single tree. The portable trees can be mounted in a vice or ratchet strapped to a pole or tree, etc.

You can get clear hickory, usually at a local sawmill or hardwood supplier, of virtually any grain orientation as long as grain runout isn't severe, and back it ahead of time with a GOOD quartersawn 1/8" thick piece of hickory or maple, glued up straight or with a little reflex...add a handle block too, and they can take it from there. Is there a reason you'd prefer to do tri-lams instead? It just adds difficulty... perhaps unnecessarily for this apllication. Just curious.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 05:40:00 PM »
Would red elm suffice, Jeff?

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 05:58:00 PM »
Well the list is growing but we have 25+ now however I am planning to run 5 at a time through the workshop with the first class being other commanders so they can help the boys. This is from 3 churches in the area.

The hickory Kenny has he is not sure about it being good for these bows but it may have been a fluke.

Would maple also work as a belly since its hard to the osage in 6 foot lengths? I have a large stack of carbonized bamboo flooring from which I make my lams for the glass bows that could be used as a core and would contrast nicely with the maple if the maple can be both the back and belly.

what thicknesses are we talking on the back, core and belly for a 64-66" bow for starting weights around 60-70# ?

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »
Shane, give Mike Yancy at Pine Hollow Longbows a call. If Kenny doesn't have enough hickory maybe Mike does.

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
Thanks Red Hill.

In all fairness I should have worded it like this; The hickory that Kenny has would be fine for the belly but he is not sure how it would be for the back as it failed once before.

Kenny has always done right by me and offered help many times so if a good combination can be found with the wood he has then he has my business otherwise i will holler at Mike.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 07:26:00 PM »
Roy, to be honest, I'm not sure. I've never used it as a backing on a wooden bow. You're talking elm heartwood right? The reddish brown stuff? I have some of it. Some is perfectly quartersawn too. I bought it for glass bow lams, but thought about maybe trying it in a tri-lam one of these days. It's on 'the list'  :)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 07:33:00 PM »
There's no substitute for a good hickory backing. I'd find some if possible.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
I think you should find some hickory.
Hickory backing are usually 1/8 or a little less.
You said  your looking for 60 to 70 pounds to start.
What kind of young guys you working with?

For that weight you will need to start with 1/2 inch or so combining the belly and mid layer then the backing.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
The boys are from all over my parish but since their draws are mostly 24" some less just a couple a tad more. Dropping weight to 45-50 @ 28 will keep their weights in a good range and grow with them.

These boys have been shooting for a while and are just new to the crafting aspect. They get credit within the Frontiersman Camping Fellowship for having made each piece of their equipment and clothing. They will also be competing with their bows this year in july at the National Rendezvous held once every 4 years.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »
Is the National Rendezvous in Mo?

I use bamboo for backing so can't help with the backing.
For a 50 pound bow the total thickness not counting the backing should start,around 3/8 thick at the center of bow.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
Yup thats the one  :)  July 14-18 i believe

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
Our United Bowhunters of Missouri has helped at least the last 3 or 4 times with the archery program.
What a great experience. So many young folk and all very well behaved. We had a blast with the trade pins.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
I will look for you there if you are able to make it. My name there is Iron Will. It sounded better than stubborn Jackass !

Offline raghorns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 11:17:00 PM »
macbow...PM sent
Ps 119:105 "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 11:25:00 PM »
Stick, I wasn't knocking Kenny. He's who I'll order from when I get to the point of making multiple lam bows. I just know that Mike has really good prices and products.

Offline stickmonkey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 07:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by red hill:
Stick, I wasn't knocking Kenny. He's who I'll order from when I get to the point of making multiple lam bows. I just know that Mike has really good prices and products.
Oh no brother I never took it like that and do thank you for the advice. I have purchased skins from Mike several times and always had good service and a quick delivery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©