Author Topic: 3" Robo sander?  (Read 323 times)

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
3" Robo sander?
« on: February 14, 2014, 05:10:00 PM »
Was just wondering if anyone has used one of these for template work? Riser duplicating in particular , if so what size drum how did you like it, any problems, thanks
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3" Robo sander?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »
My opinion don't waste your money. You will be way better off rigging something on a drill press with a more solid sanding drum.
High on Archery.

Offline Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 08:45:00 PM »
I read good and bad reviews before trying the robo sander, but decided to get one anyway and give it a try.  For the price, it does a satisfactory job.  I am able to place my riser in the jig, run it along the the drum, and then it is ready to glue up 80% of the time.  The twenty percent of the time it doesn't work perfectly, it only needs a couple of touches to get the riser ready.  I bought the metal sanding drum when ordering and that may have made a my results different than others.  Also, I found your technique makes a big difference, using long light strokes gives me better results than trying to hog the material off.

A good edge sander, modified as others on this site have done, would be my preference.  However, I already had the drill press so the robo sander was the most economical choice for me.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
I have one and used it for a little while.  Now the the 6x80 takes care of everything I need.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
I bought a 3 inch robosander in 2009 and I had trouble with the rubber drum bulging with standard sand paper sleeves..I bought some tungsten carbide (metal/ non bulging) sanding sleeves and have used them along with jigs to shape risers before glue up. I bought a used 6x80 edge sander and am working on making a pattern sander on the motor end.

Offline longrifle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 08:23:00 AM »
Thanks guys for the input, like Walt I have heard good and bad about them, I was hoping to use it and get my risers real close then go back and use what I use now which is MDF jigs and plate glass held at 90* and make sure all is perfect. I don't build a lot of bows each year but would like to do it a little bit quicker .
The human body is the only machine the harder you work it, the stronger it gets.
"Aim small- Hit small" ( I never think negative)

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »
I have used the 3" drum sander with good results.  The sanding sleeves that I use are very course grit, like 36 grit or 40 grit.  Plus I have a drill press with variable speeds and I adjust it to the fastest speed.  I put a 1/2" spacer on my jig so the handle stock is sanding in the middle of the sleeve.  If you tighten the nut down too tight you may get a slight bulge on the sleeve, so don't that.
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©