Author Topic: 3 under  (Read 770 times)

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 3 under
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 10:25:00 PM »
I didn't think I was confused till I figured I was confused and I confirmed I was definitely confused now I want that drink too and I may have to go back to buying bows.   :confused:

Offline heartlandbowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
Jeff, so at that point your gonna work towards perfect nock travel? I would think if you had perfect nock travel and no bow rocking in hand your limbs would be in time, starting and stopping at the same time. Is my thinking correct.

When you were talking static and dynamic earlier in the thread would static refer to bow at brace and dynamic refer to bow being drawn adding energy to the bow.

Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm just trying to learn as much as I can.

Cory

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 11:45:00 PM »
Static is the true center of the bow, measured tip to tip. Dynamic is where the bow balances in your hand according to how you grip it and where your draw hand is on the string.  

I might go out and buy a compound tomorrow.  :)  LOL, not....

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 12:24:00 AM »
Blasphemy Roy!!! Lol.
This is very interesting stuff.  Gonna be hard to incorporate on my next glass build. Might have to build the shelf and grip around the tiller(timing) of the limbs. Boy, I might need a couple drinks while thinking about this one.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 04:22:00 AM »
Well, not exactly Roy.

The static point of balance is where the undrawn bow balances with no drawing pressure at all exerted. It is USUALLY very near the measured center of the bow, but depends also on mass orientation.

Dynamic balance is where the bow balances at full draw relative to limb timing, and the bow and string holds of the archer.

The dynamic balance point of a bow at full draw will change when gripped differently... or timed differently.

The shift between static and dynamic balance points happens as the bow is drawn. The farther they're seperated prior to the draw, the greater the shift needing made. I suspect, even if limbs are balanced at full draw, that the more shift being made, the greater the affects on smoothness of draw, felt recoil, arrow flight, etc... but I haven't dug around in that dirt too much yet.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2014, 07:04:00 AM »
Well, not exactly Roy

I thought about that last night after I went to bed and knew you was gonna say that.  :)  But it's going to be very close like you said.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2014, 08:29:00 AM »
LOL.

With the mass thing, I'm sure many here, especially those who build balanced bows, can tell long before a stave hits the tree, whether one limb is likely to be too strong, simply by where the static balance point is in the hand.

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 12:38:00 AM »
Bowjunkie, I definitely need to see your build along.  Look forward to that.
Does your process work the same for self bows or laminated bows?
How do you define the static balance point and the dynamic balance point?
This is good info.  I need to learn about it.
Thanks for your help.
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »
Drewster, look three or four posts above yours for the descriptions.

Yes, regardless of what the bow is made of.

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 08:03:00 AM »
I was hoping to figure out the answer to this question ,but when they handled out stupid I got my fair share.I may have even got a little greedy.
   But what's the definition of a asymmetrical bow and a symmetrical bow????? Or what is the difference?????
  Sorry for whats probably a dumb question.   :dunno:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 08:17:00 AM »
Symmetrical bow, both limbs are the same length.

Asymmetrical bow, bottom limb is shorter than the top limb. Normally about 1 to 1 1/4 inches shorter. This is done to keep the static and dynamic center closer to the center of the grip area.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »
Bowjunkie does the cradle on your tree allow the bow to rock freely?  if so how do you get around the bow wanting to rock off the cradle at the beginning of the draw... when tillering for split?

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 08:32:00 AM »
Symmetrical design - A type of bow whose limbs are of equal length and whose longitudinal center is at the center of the handle. 

Asymmetrical design - A type of bow whose limbs are of unequal length… and hence, whose longitudinal center is offset from the center of its handle.  

Rockkiller, for future info, these and other definitions can be found near the top of the list of threads in a 'sticky thread' when you open the Bowyer's Bench forum.

No such thing as a dumb question, bud... especially questions about bowyerin'  :)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »
Eric, my cradle 'base' doesn't allow the bow to tip unless it's moderately out of time, but I have variously shaped inserts that drop into it, some for various grips on the bow, some of which allow it to pivot.

I mostly time the limbs by referencing how the string fulcrum pulls down... how it drifts from or follows the line on the wall indicating movement perpendicular to the shelf... so I don't want it to pivot.

I have plans to redesign my tillering tree, for the umpteenth time,
very soon. I don't yet want to devulge my super secret idea until it's up and running. It's gonna be the friggin bomb THIS time. BREWHAHAHAHAHAHA    :bigsmyl:

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
cool.  ive been trying to meet the intent by allowing the bow to pivot freely, and sync the limbs by keeping the bow from rocking. thats proving to be difficult.  i think im going to put on a more stationary cradle for now and snap a vertical line and do it your way as i finish up this trade bow.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 09:16:00 AM »
Why don't cha just hold the bow up with your hand and have the wife pull the pull rope?  :)

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
A girl could pull your bow, Roy, but ain't no way a girl's pulling mine    :laughing:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
Ah, took yer smarty pants pill this morning I see..  :)

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
bowjunkie id like to see your cradle with swappable inserts.  sounds like it would beat the hell out of screwing and unscrewing different things to my wall.    :laughing:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©