Author Topic: Anyone interested in a bow cook-off/showdown of the ages?  (Read 526 times)

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone interested in a bow cook-off/showdown of the ages?
« on: February 20, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
What's a cook off? it's where anyone interested builds a bow, and they all get sent to one person to be chronographed on one day at the same location!

It would just be a chance for everyone to test their skills, push the limits a little, and see how fast we can send an arrow downrange.

I remember reading on another board about a red oak board bow cook-off and it seems like a cool idea.

So here's my thought on it:

Wood bows vs. glass bows ... the battle to end all battles!!!!!

All bows would need to be between say 40# and 50# at their marked draw length.

All bows will be drawn to 28", or less if specified by the bowyer.

All bows will be shot with 10gpp or as close as we can get (i.e. +-5grains or so)

Thats it! No one's going to tell you what to build ... you want sinew? then get your hide glue ready! you want carbon? get your wallet ready ... thats all good too.

Obviously, this would take time, we'd need a deadline well in the future and we'd need someone willing to chrono these bows ... maybe 2 people if anyone is close enough to another tradganger.

Once all the testing is done, we can declare a wood (or natural materials) bow winner, a glass bow winner, and an overall, undisputed, tradgang cook off champion. Imagine the internet glory (hahaha) you'll be showered in if you can win this!

OK so obviously this is just a thought/proposal and none of the specifics are by any means set in stone. If anyone is interested or has any additional ideas I wanna hear it.

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone interested in a bow cook-off/showdown of the ages?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 11:49:00 AM »
Sounds like fun!! Might be a little hard to actually accomplish, but great idea!

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 12:24:00 PM »
yes. everyone just send your best bow to me, and some one send me a chronograph,  each bow should probably come with a dozen matched arrows (so i can take the average of all of them) and then i will disappear into the night with all my plunder   :biglaugh:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 12:58:00 PM »
IDTS Benny Boy... You just wanna get your hands on some good bows.    :)    And you got a 24" draw? LOL how ya gonna shoot a real bow son?    :)
I have a kids bow I kin send ya....

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 01:22:00 PM »
Haha 25" Roy. And actually I was thinking if we send all the bows to you, maybe we can kick of that little glass addiction your working on.

Nick, I agree it's not logistically easy, and it'd cost everyone who wanted in for shipping both ways ... but .... Think about all of the internet notoriety you could get ....

Besides if no one's in then I'm gonna just chrono one of my bows and declare myself the winner! lol.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
I knew ya wuz gonna bend the rules...    :laughing:

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 03:07:00 PM »
You win, Ben. I'm cool with that    :thumbsup:

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
Ben I'm thinking a 25" draw might not even be enough to set off a chronograph..    :wavey:

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 05:37:00 PM »
I'm in.  We kinda did this at the first MOJam although no glass bows.  It was a heck of a lot of fun.  That might help with the logistics if we could get folks together at a gathering like that.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 06:21:00 PM »
Yeah I was the one who started and ran the red oak board bow cook off over at primitive archer back in 2011...it was fun,and two other local bowyer buddies and me did the judging,n made a day of it...and we judged for more categories than just fps as there's a whole lot more to what makes a good bow than just its fps numbers...I agree with john as its prob best done at a more known popular shoot/gathering like Tennessee classic,mojam etc where a good number of folks show up at with an armory of bows with them(like me..lol)...not a lot of folks will wanna bite the incurring shipping costs, and not being there to physically see the judging etc....

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
John and Chris.

That sounds like a pretty good plan, to do it at a gathering instead of through the mail. I personally don't mind shipping but I can see your point that not many may want to eat the shipping costs.

I've never been to any of these gatherings/events, can someone post a list of the events they are aware of and the location and dates?

Obviously I'm personally preferential to something on the east coast ... but now I'm just being selfish.

Regarding the glass bows, I personally don't particularly care either way, I just figured it would get the most people possible involved.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
and I thought speed didn't matter in trad archery....    ;)  

It would be fun to see the results for sure.

If I could make a bow over 165 fps  I'd be happy lol

I'd love to see some scorching numbers put up.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
ETAR, Cloverdale, Comptons, MOJam are the ones I know of personally.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 12:13:00 PM »
I probably can't get to a gathering due to time and expense.  But.. How about a combo get together and "postal"?  More could play!
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 12:21:00 PM »
There's an idea Monterey!

Likewise, traveling is far more difficult and expensive that postage ... I too would likely have to mail my bows to someone to test.

John, Speed always matters ... speed at 5gpp may not, but speed with a hunting arrow definately matters. I'd rather shoot a 40# bow that can do 165fps with 500 grain than a 50# bow that shoots the same speed ...

Comptons is like 9hrs, clovedale is like 10hrs and ETAR is like 5 hrs for me ... I might consider ETAR but teh others are definately too far

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
Hey Ben...I was just joking around bud...and agree with your statement completely.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
If you get enough folks to commit, then maybe we can pool the opinions on logistics.  I'll travel or ship.  I'm flexible  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 03:16:00 PM »
Ok Ben!  You started this so lets git r done!!  

:thumbsup:      :goldtooth:

I'm in for the postal version.  Heck, I'll show up in person for a Colorado get together!
Monterey

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
Forgot to add that I have a chrono and would be willing to do some of the shooting.

Am I allowed to shoot my own bow!  :cool:
Monterey

Offline gene atkinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 04:54:00 PM »
this sounds pretty interesting. where is ETAR?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©