Author Topic: Powerlams and tip wedges - how to make?  (Read 385 times)

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
Powerlams and tip wedges - how to make?
« on: February 24, 2014, 01:18:00 PM »
As the shock of the loss of Kenny's expertise fades, I'm finding myself in a bit of a position as I ordered several parts for my bows from him that I don't think I can get anywhere else, namely powerlams and tip wedges.

So, I'm planning on trying to get a thickness sander asap and wanted to know how you guys go about making these.  I was doing my powerlams as a single 30" piece, .070 thick in the center and fade to zero at both ends.  The tip wedges were 6.5" long and .070 butt thickness.  Can anyone give me some ideas on how I might go about doing this on a thickness sander?  Any info from you Kenny would be great!

Also, if anyone would be willing to make these or knows someone that does, please let me know!  It'd be nice to order a few for the space between saving for, buying, and learning how to use the sander.  Thanks guys!

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Powerlams and tip wedges - how to make?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »
I'm sure you can get them from other places that grind lams. Perhaps Binghams or Old Master Crafter, etc. I'm not 'in the biz', but I can do it here too... virtually any taper.

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 02:29:00 PM »
Haven't heard of Old Master Crafter, they have a website or anything?  Only found a facebook for it or should I contact him through that? I'll see if Binghams would be willing to do it.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 03:04:00 PM »
I don't think they have a website. I don't get on Facebook so can't help you there. I always just sent him an order form or called him.

Offline typical2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 09:19:00 PM »
They aren't too hard, you have to be real careful at the last and handsand a little  . I'll try to get some pics of my sleds for you in a day or 2.

Tip wedges:

Basically I use 2 pcs of MDF screwed together at one end. Put a spacer in the front(away from screws) to lift that end of top one.

Get both sides sanded to a taper and a bit over thickness. Check both ends for thickness, and adjust the shim to get the butt thickness  amount difference in them. You might leave the thin end about .010 too thick for handsanding.

Get the .070 butt(will be .010 at thin end) , then clamp to a nice block on the bench and with a sanding block, feather the thin end to 0"

Then when you get that
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline tenbrook

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
Its super easy but helps if you have a drum sander.  Come on by and I'll show ya' how to do it.

I'll pm you my number.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©