Author Topic: Sliding lams  (Read 361 times)

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Sliding lams
« on: February 25, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
This will be my first glass bow
How do you keep your tapered lams from sliding toward the fades during glue up?
Should I not worry to much?
Can I drill a hole threw the glass/lams and riser for a locator pin?
If so what kind of drill for fiber glass?
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Sliding lams
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 07:36:00 PM »
I clamp the riser to the back lams with a home made clamp. (1" strapping and bolts) After I butter up the belly lams I secure them to my form with strapping tape starting about mid limb(where the lams naturally touch the form then work toward the fade ramps and tips with more pieces of tape. Nothing has ever moved lengthwise on me.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
A scrap superglued to the flat on riser helps if this will work on your riser...

Mikes clamp is a great help too!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
I cable tie the tip end, and use filament tape at the fades. Cut the tie once partly inflated and all's well.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 09:47:00 PM »
i had my first one slip on me- so now i do a combo of all of the abovei glue on the kenny scrap, then in my dry run as i squeeze the top lams up against the scrap, i have a mark on the form, and i make a corresponding mark on the tape that is on the glass- this is for when the belly glass is in two pieces. then during glue up i  zip tie down the riser in position, correspond the marks on the belly glass and the form- tape that well in position, pull the glass down to the riser - zip tie that- put pressure strip and hose inflate to maybe 15 lbs- cut zip ties and remove- continue inflating.
i am not as experienced or as smart as the udder fellas- so i gotta make sure an hold everything down.

one more point- i have center clearly marked on my form, and corresponding center on the riser marked, so that as i inflate if the riser moves i can see it- thats where my first one moved by only  3/8 " screwed up everything!!tiller so outta whack i lost 15# trying to save it.

for my next one i am also going to drill through the tips (in the excess)lams only, not glass, and use a toothpic or similar to keep the lams aligned with each other.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©