Author Topic: Snowy Day Buildalong - ***UPDATE 12-2014***  (Read 1652 times)

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Snowy Day Buildalong - ***UPDATE 12-2014***
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 03:40:00 PM »
i had the same problem- the hot air was blown back onto the back of the bow- and toasted the back- chased another ring, backed it with silk- still shooting well in NZ now with a mate there.

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
This is great, John and I will be following along.  I started on my first osage stave a couple of weekends ago and have realized that I didn't choose wisely as far as the stave goes.  It's narrow with some propeller twist and deflexed on one end.  I'm floor tillering it now and hope to try the heat corrections soon.  Anyway, thanks for posting this.  No snow here today but it's 4 degrees.    :(
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 04:00:00 PM »
Eric,

The grain was straight here except for the dogleg where I curved the layout.  The effect is the same as running a centerline with the grain.  Really snaky staves demand a different approach.  I have had problems with heat bouncing but I take care not to go too far in a particular area.  I have a true toasting caul without sides if I need to go a little further.

Thanks for all the nice remarks.

John
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
Directly off the caul.

I like to clean all the edges up and double check everything with calipers before tillering.  I mark the stave every 3" and compare the limbs.  I also sight don the edge to make sure there is no goofiness going on.

OK we are about ready to start making a bow.

The top nocks are cut about 3/4" from the tip.

I cut the bottom nocks about 1/4" from the tips.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
I did floor tiller and it looked pretty good so I braced it really low.

The right (upper) limb is a bit strong so I'll give it a few rasp strokes to even things up a bit.

That's better but both limbs need some work in the outer half.

After a few cycles, that looks a bit better.  I'm gonna raise the brace height a bit and see where we are.

Looking at it now, I realize I wen t abit too high but that is hindsight a guess.  I should have gone to maybe 3" instead of the 5 or 6 here.

Both outer limbs need work.

The left is coming around but the right needs a bit more.

I thought I got a picture but I must not have.  Anyway, I got the right to come round a bit and started pulling to 20" or so.

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
jumpin' jimminey
turbo bow building 101

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »
Both limbs still need work in the outer half, the right more than the left.

Coming round a bit.

Let's try that again.

That's looking OK but I am a bit worried about the feel of the bow.  It seems mushy and light even though the design should be about right for a 50# bow.  I unstrung it and it recovered slowly.  All those are indications of too much moisture in the wood.  Now this doesn't surprise me a whole lot given the size of the original stave even though it was cut 2 years ago.

At any rate, I think I am done with this one for now.  It needs to dry for a while.  I never bent it past 22" so I am sure there is no damage done.  I'll give it a month or so and try again.  Thanks for watching.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 04:46:00 PM »
Really like the profile after you heat treated it, especially given how much the one limb was deflexed.  Gives me hope for mine.  Will check back in a month or so.  Hopefully mine will be floor tillered by then.    :rolleyes:
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
I have a pinless moisture meter that has been a real eye opener. I got a stave out from under my house the other day that had been cut 8 years ago, my moisture meter said it was still 18% MC, probably from being under the house.

A cut down to slats and placed in my drying box it was down to 12% after a couple of weeks, ambient for wood in my area.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 05:58:00 AM »
Looking good Eric. We'll catch up with ya after she dries out some more.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 08:00:00 AM »
I really hate to keep sounding like im questioning you... But i cant get past how it looks like its bending to much at the fades.  I KNOW you know what youre doing... Cause ive seen your work.  Do you now just bring the outer limbs along until you get to full draw... And not let it bend any more at the fades?  Just tryin to learn from a master.  ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2014, 08:49:00 AM »
John, I believe you started this buildalong rage years ago. I remember seeing your buildalong over on the LW long about '98.

Good luck with that stave.

As an aside have a pin type meter and use it all the time right down to the first stringing. If I get a reading above 8-10% for osage I stop.

Jawge

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2014, 09:06:00 AM »
Echatham, Yes.  I am no master, I just like to make bows.  Some are good, some...not so much.  But I learn something every time.

Thanks George.  

I never intended these buildalongs to be instructional but they kinda got that way.  I mostly wanted to learn from Jim Fetrow, Mickey Lotz, Dean Torges, Tim Baker, Jim Hamm, and the other experienced bowmakers that were hanging out on the LW at the time.  Then I got a bit of experience and learned a little HTML code, and the rest is history.

Disclaimer:  This is just the way I do things.  It is imperfect and changeable.  I often make it up as I go along.  So enjoy the show but please don't blame me if you cut your finger off, break a band saw blade or ruin a stave.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gene atkinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 09:09:00 AM »
thanks for posting i enjoyed that . pretty awesome.

Offline David Flanrey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 09:15:00 AM »
John, thanks for taking the time to take pics along the way and posting them.  As you mentioned the bowyers you learned from, now you are the teacher for many of us beginners.  Keep them coming.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 09:23:00 AM »
Thanks John, I think i could debate you on the master thing  ;)   I learn from each one too, and i try to pick up a thing or two from everybody else's bows.

Offline wapiti1997

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 12:52:00 PM »
I'm enjoying the build-along, and thanks for sending the snow and ice over this way....

I have a question regarding your string grooves.  Why 3/4 at the top and 1/4 on the bottom?  It seems like it would cause some vibration or handshock to not be more symmetrical in tip weight?

It obviously works for you, I was just curious.
P&Y and B&C Measurer
RMEF Life Member
UBK Life Member

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
The longer top nock allows the use of a tip stringer.  It also keeps you from over running the tip if you use the push-pull method of string.  I've smacked myself in the cheek a couple times with a bow tip  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
:notworthy:  Excellent.......
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Hi! Remember me?  

Freezer is full.  Sausage is made.  Holidays are all but over.  I stored most of the hunting gear and cleaned up the shop.  It's almost bowmaking season.

This buildalong will resume this weekend.  I brought forth from the sawdust and off-season projects this bow in the making.

It shall be our first victim of the season.  I have one more family gathering to celebrate this evening but tomorrow is virtually free.

The good news is that I have 2 more blanks lined up under the bench.  The bad news is that I renewed my love for trapping so there is a bit of competition.  I may only get to those 3 this season.  But I'll take you along for the ride.

Stay tuned.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©