Author Topic: Ipe questions  (Read 562 times)

Offline scars

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ipe questions
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
I know I'm a little late in this reply, so just some fyi for you.
  [/url] [/IMG]

When I use dry heat I heat the belly and watch the thickness sides for the grain to go translucent. And get very visible take your time it will get there. While heating the belly and after you see the wood grain change touch the back if it does not feel warm keep heating the belly.

In the picture above I kicked the tips about 1 1/4" and reflexed the handle about 10 or 15 degrees. I never took any pictures of it before giving it to a friend.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2014, 09:31:00 AM »
Tony, one word of caution with IPE. It's been known to give some folks a severe reaction. I suggest wearing a good respirator, gloves, and a long sleeve shirt when rasping or sanding it. Then get all the dust off you before going into the house.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
I agree with Roy, probably a good practice regardless of the wood type. Ask Kenny about cocobolo.

Just a thought, might be worth saking a bit of sawdust and water and putting a drop on your arm for a min or two then wiping it off and see if you get a reaction in a few days ... at least you'd have some warning that your allergic.

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
Thanks for the advice guys. I wore a dust mask while cutting it the other day and vacuumed up the dust. Probably should take some greater precautions until I find out if I'm allergic or not. I remember your story Roy about your reaction to it. Don't want to have to go through that.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©