Author Topic: wood backing question  (Read 245 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Trad Bowhunter
wood backing question
« on: March 03, 2014, 01:03:00 PM »
I've searched and looked at build alongs and how to's, not finding or clearly understanding wood backings.

I find lots of stuff on laminations, but what I want to try is backing something like walnut, ERC or cherry with maple.

I don't have access to these (except ERC) in board form.  If I ripped some 1/8" strips of maple (from the side of a straight split stave) on the table saw and cut a flat back on the stave I was gluing to, would this work?

If so would TB3, be suitable glue?
P&Y and B&C Measurer
RMEF Life Member
UBK Life Member

Offline razorback

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood backing question
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
Yes to all those. Though if you have a stave with a clean back, i.e. no ring violations, there is no need for a backing. Use the best grained wood you can for both the backing and the belly and you should have good success. I have heard maple over cherry works well though cherry needs very good tiller or it will fret.
Keep the wind in your face and the sun at your back.

Offline bubby

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wood backing question
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
hard maple is a top line backer, I prefer quartersawn but flatsawn works just as well, just stay away from any figure in the grain as it will eventually let go, maple backed bl walnut is beautiful, if you don't have a hardwood lumberyard around try a cabinet shop and ask where they get their wood, hate to see a perfectly good stave turned into a board

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©