Author Topic: jatoba ( brazilian cherry) anybody try it as a belly wood in an all wood bow?  (Read 638 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Got a line on some jatoba.

Thinking a hick, elm, jatoba tri might be fun.
Any of you guys worked with it?
Looks to be in the ipe class of belly wood..just a bit of a down grade from it.

Also thinking hick, elm, hick.

Thanks
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
I wouldnt put it in the ipe class but I would say it has made some really nice bows for me.It seem to me to be closer to bloodwood to me and I really like bloodwood.

Offline Inuumarue

• Trad Bowhunter
I would go wider than ipe, and flat bellied.  I built some ELB and ALB with it and a hickory back. never had much luck keeping free of frets, though that may have been my particular board.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
I've use jatoba a few times. Never had it fret on me, but I rarely have my bows fret, I think I tend to overbuild so that may be why.

It doesn't seem quite as dense and stiff as Ipe but it is a great bellly wood and I think looks great too.

x2 on going wider than Ipe ... maybe by 20-30% but thats just a total guess.

Offline Black Mockingbird

• Trad Bowhunter
Made a maple backed one with a walnut core a few months ago...66" ntn slight bendy handle...1 1/8" wide at fades...1/4" at tips...keeps a nice moderate reflexed profile..n shoots pretty darn good for me

Jatobas good belly wood as long as you design and tiller it right like any other wood,and don't try using it in really high stressed n reflexed designs..

Oh...and it makes a really attractive good looking bow...beautiful wood when all finished up

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Listen to what I'm going to tell you..

Osage, Osage, Osage..  :)

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
I wish I could get osage easy.We used to have lots of it when people moved into this part of Arkansas but it all became fence post and now pine timber.There are a couple big trees around but none where you could cut one.It has become a lot easier to buy exotic woods for bows so we have to work with what we can get.Brazilian cherry being one of them.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
There are a few sponsors on here that sell Osage too. Not saying there is anything wrong with exotic woods though.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
Snapper, there's osage over in the Lewisville area near the Red River. If you know anyone in the area maybe they could hook you up.
Stan

Offline snapper1d

• Trad Bowhunter
Yes I have seen some osage over in that area but I dont know anyone over there.I wish I knew of someone with a saw mill over there but with my truck I would have to take out a loan from the bank to buy gas for that trip.Red Hill have I met you at my brother's lumberyard before? He owned Beene Lumber and I had all the bows there.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thanks for the info guys.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©