Author Topic: glass laminted bow  (Read 276 times)

Offline breazyears

• Trad Bowhunter
glass laminted bow
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:41:00 PM »
I'm going to take a crack at a glass laminated bow...maybe crack isn't a good word to use. Anyway. Was wondering if ipe would be a decent wood for the core. I am having a hard time finding bamboo that is longer than three feet. Or maybe I could splice two pieces of boo together to get the length I need??? I will also have to splice the laminates together, so their will be three splices on the same center if I was to go that route. would that be a bad idea, or should I just go with the ipe?
 Any help would be great.
theirs a fly in my soup

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: glass laminted bow
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 08:44:00 PM »
You won't have any problems by splicing your lams together. If your glass is spliced on the back of the bow- just put an overlay over it and you will be good.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »
I do three splices in mine all the time. I cut them on 45 degree angles on the miter saw, gouge them with the toothing plane, and glue them together with Smooth On... staggering the joints by 1/2" or so.

Butt splicing bamboo shouldn't be a problem.

And yes, ipe would work in a laminated bow. Pretty much any wood that will make a bow without glass will make a bow with it. Though I  usually prefer less dense wood in between the glass.

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 09:10:00 PM »
Only 12% of the strength of a bow comes from the wood, while 88% comes from the glass.  Almost anything stronger than Balsa or Aspen will work for a wood/glass composite.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©