Author Topic: My 2014 trade bow adventure (3rd weekend).  (Read 616 times)

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
My 2014 trade bow adventure (3rd weekend).
« on: March 17, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
Since I haven't really updated Kelly on my progress, I thought I would give a short update. Most of my bows, so far, have been made from staves or backed bows made from wood and bamboo. I was in the swap at another site the last couple of years, but thought I would enter yours this year. In order to focus on this bow, I elected not to enter the other swap this year. So far I have several options. I have hickory backed ipe and hard maple backed massuranduba glue ups done as well as crepe myrtle and osage staves roughed out. After reading Little Ben's fine take-down build along, I decided to try my hand at one. If it doesn't work out, I can use one of the others to fall back on. More to follow.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My 2014 trade bow adventure (3rd weekend).
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 07:18:00 PM »
well Kenny i always wanted me a maple backed whatchamacallit.... so that will do nicely  :)

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
I will keep that in mind, Eric. You never know!    :thumbsup:

I have been very lucky with the backed bows I have made over the last couple of years. Since I didn't have a thickness sander, I ripped the backings on the table saw and then on the band saw when I got one. I cleaned them up with by hand sanding before gluing them up. In order to do tapered laminations I knew I would need to rig up a thickness sander/lam grinder of sorts. After reading about them online I decided to try to convert my belt sander into one. Since my belt sander doesn't have enough clearance to build a jig like the one on Sam's site, poorfolksbows.com, I decided build a frame to flip it on its side. More to follow...
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:48:00 PM »
Here is a pick of the frame. I had to make it a temporary one so I could continue to use it as a belt sander. The drawback is the belt tracking adjustment knob is not accessible, so if it shuts down, I have to take the clamps off, raise it up, and adjust the tracking.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 01:46:57 PM by LESKEN2011 »

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:07:00 PM »
Good job on the rig.  I just got gifted some more ipe... So i have a glue up or two in the near future.  After my last experience of tapering by hand i thing im gonna use the excuse to buy a drum sander  ;)

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
Next I needed a sled. Since I have never worked with the precision that many of you glass bow builders do (I still don't      :D   ), I read as much as I could about taper rates. Little Ben used about .0025 per inch taper on 2 of the 3 lams in his bow and others have used .002 per inch, so I figured I would shoot for something in that range, realizing, of course, that I would probably have to do a little more tillering which is possible with a wood belly if left thick enough. I saw an adjustable table saw ripping sled online with a hinge on one end that gave me the idea it might work for the sled. I ripped a 2 X 4 36 inches long and put a hinge on one end. Here are a couple of pics.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 01:47:31 PM by LESKEN2011 »

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 08:33:00 PM »
I added a 1/4 inch red oak piece to the sander side of the sled and glued an 80 grit piece of sandpaper to it. This was my thought process. .0025 per inch taper X 36 inches = .09 total. So I took a hickory backer (I just finished on my new thickness sander down to .09 inches and closed the open end of the taper on it.

« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 01:48:08 PM by LESKEN2011 »

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
I didn't have a way to make the end adjustable, so for the time being, I cut a short piece of aluminum and put some screws in it to keep the correct gap. I figured I could fix it later with some type of adjustment screw. I also added some dowels for handles to push the sled with.

The first lam I ground for practice wound up with a .00233 taper per inch which I hope may be close enough for my first try at this type of bow. When all you guys stop laughing, feel free to give me some feedback. By the way, thanks Ben for the extra feedback and the detailed build that you provided.

More to follow...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 01:48:26 PM by LESKEN2011 »

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 09:00:00 PM »
Eric, I love ipe. Massuranduba (bulletwood), another decking wood, is also a very dense wood since my favorite (osage) is a little harder to come by. I have used titebond, so far on my glue ups except for gluing in kerfs when flipping the tips which I used epoxy for. I think I will try the epoxy on this take-down, though. After reading Ben's comments on the moisture related issues, I don't have the patience to wait on it to dry back out.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 09:29:00 PM »
I dig it man.  Cool idea on the sled.

Offline red hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 09:43:00 PM »
Very cool idea for the lam grinder! Keep this one coming.

Offline bigbob2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 03:14:00 AM »
Great approach to your lam grinder. i made one a little similar by using a makita belt sander [ hand operated type]removed all the burnt out motor and casing and run it of a spa pump motor.Looks alittle similar and works great. Also used Masseranduba wood as a board bow and came up ok.like the way you went about your lam grinder.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 11:38:00 AM »
I really like that sled idea. I actually am in the process of rethinking my own lam grinding setup and I think I may make the sled as you did.

It would be nice to be able to adjust the taper by adjusting the gap at the end of the sled.

Really cool solution to the problem.

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 03:19:00 PM »
Ben. I also tacked on a 1/4 inch thick red oak board along one side of the ripped pine 2x4 for lateral support to help keep it from warping. If you are going to start from scratch, you may want to reinforce it with a metal strip. I will probably make a 2nd one that way eventually. This was really a test to see if it would work. If you come up with a good way to make it adjustable, let me know.

Offline talkingcabbage

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 11:36:00 PM »
Looks pretty good, but I have one question - I have a sander similar to that, but the guide wheel on the side you're using is not a straight cylinder on mine.  It's more like a barrel to help with tracking.  I'm assuming, though, that yours is a straight cylinder?  Otherwise your lams won't be consistent in thickness from one side to the other.
Joe

"If your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt."

One of two things will happen; it'll either work or it won't.

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 04:53:00 AM »
i have feeling like this is going to sail across the ocean  :)  nice job... keep coming
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 05:39:00 AM »
Inksoup-One of the reasons for the take down is I heard it is cheaper shipping shorter packages.   ;)  

Joe-Mine seems to be parallel, but if yours isn't, I would think you could run your sled through a couple of times to plumb it with the sander before you put your sandpaper on and start running your lams.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 08:23:00 AM »
Kenny im gonna copy your sled, and i have a good idea to make it adjustable.  ill try to explain it or make a picture soon as i can  :)

Offline inksoup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2014, 07:14:00 AM »
don't forget to write on the package "HEDİYEDİR" for "GIFT" or "BEDELSIZDIR" for "no price" hahahaha lol  :D
these are not the droids you are looking for.

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2014, 07:43:00 AM »
I will be back in the shop, today. I hope to have more pics up later.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©