Author Topic: looking for advice from the group that knows  (Read 262 times)

Offline M P Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
looking for advice from the group that knows
« on: March 19, 2014, 07:25:00 AM »
I've decided on the woods for my next bow.  UPS delivered a B E A utiful raw wood veneer sheet yesterday. The veneer is 1/42 thick 0.023 (if my math is correct).

I have 3 questions:

1) REALLY CONFIRMATION: When calculating limb thickness, I DO have to add the thickness of the veneer (right)?

The veneer is so flexible its hard to believe it adds weight to the limb.

2) Does action bamboo have any great benefit over other woods / actionwood?

3) Which glass would be recommended Bo Tuf UL or ULS? Is there a benefit of one over the other?

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: looking for advice from the group that knows
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »
1. Yes
2. I like actionboo, I use amberboo which is darker than actionboo. It looks and sands nice on limb edge
3. I used ULS clear glass once over dark brown veneers, in bright sunshine I can see the "scrim" in the glass..not to bad but it looks a little like the screen in my house windows. I typically use UL clear glass since I build one piece bows with pretty veneers

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: looking for advice from the group that knows
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:34:00 PM »
2. Kind of, but not really.  What's nice about it is it's consistent, where as wood can vary a bit from piece to piece.  This is nice if you're going for very specific weights, or want the extra predictability.  Bamboo itself is a good material because of it's strength, though I've started doing mixed cores with bamboo on the back, maple on the belly with very nice results.

3. I recommend UL if you're going clear, especially with dark veneers.  I use ULS for anything that doesn't have veneers under it, as I think the scrim adds a little bit of torsional stability. Haven't used ULS in a full limb, so not sure how much there is to the torsional stability argument.  Going to try adding uniweft in my next one to help with torsional stability.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©