Author Topic: First Bow Build-Along  (Read 426 times)

Offline Patrick A R

• Trad Bowhunter
First Bow Build-Along
« on: March 24, 2014, 10:14:00 PM »
Finally got the chance to start working on my first bow. I've decided to make a red oak pyramid bow based off of 4est trekker's tutorial from back in 2009.

Went down to Home Depot and got all the rest the tools I'll be needing (minus a jigsaw/ bandsaw that I now know would come in handy).

This is the only board I found. The grains are fairly straight and I'm pretty sure that the long growth is enough.

Next I drew out all my measurements and cutting lines. I cut out the riser and tip overlays. I'm hoping that tomorrow I can borrow the use of a jig or bandsaw to cut out the bow. Then I'll get to gluing and the real work can start. If not I'll have a slow go of it with a coping or handsaw.

Any tips as I progress are greatly appreciated! I'll continue to post as I progress.

Offline 4est trekker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Bow Build-Along
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 10:41:00 PM »
My only tip is that you shouldn't follow 4est Trekker's buildlong...he didn't know what he was talking about.  He really should redo that buildalong now that he's not such a bowbuilding dunce!  :)  

In all seriousness, take it slow and have some fun!  :)
"Walk softly...and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline Patrick A R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 10:43:00 PM »
Hahaha! Well if he does make another one I'll follow that one as well!

I'm having a ton of fun so far and I've barely begun. My only hangup is the cutting out part. Soon I'll invest in a jigsaw, but for now it's lots of tired forearms for me! haha  :D

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 01:58:00 AM »
I used my old Skil circular saw to cut the profile on the first couple of board bows I made.  I free handed it staying well outside the line, but you could clamp a board to use as a fence if you have that kind of saw.  Very first one was a pyramid following 4est's build along and amazingly, given my lack of skills, it decided to become a bow.  I'm working on my 11th bow now.  If I ever run into Mr. Trekker, I'm going to thank him and offer to buy him a cold one or two.    :)
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Inuumarue

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
Can't really tell from the photos, but if you don't have a center line on the bow go ahead and check it with some string.  If your measurement references are from the edge of the board and it is a little warped then your bow will be as well.  The more time you spend in layout double checking everything, the better.

One of my first bows I built I didn't check the center line and ended up with tips about 0.5" off to one side... which I had no idea how to fix at the time.

Looks good and good luck!

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 08:57:00 AM »
Tips?  Ditto the need for a dead on centerline.  And, speaking of "tips", to my eye your tips may be a bit wide but it could be the camera angle or maybe just my personal preference
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 02:04:00 PM »
I always make tips wide and leave the handle area wide for future adjustments once the bow is braced. You don't need either to be shaped to tiller the bow anyway.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©