Author Topic: How do you grind dual tapers?  (Read 607 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
How do you grind dual tapers?
« on: April 01, 2014, 03:27:00 PM »
Hey gang,

I'm having a hard time visualizing this...

I want to grind some backing,core, and belly lams for a tri lam.
I'll want these full length ie 62-66"

I'm going to want a flat section in the center then taper out to the ends.

I have a dual drum sander with belt feed I can use.

Do you do both ends at once?

One end at a time with the other end "resting" on some stock about as thick as the sled?

Maybe put a couple of tapered pieces of lams that taper to "nothing" under the stock to be ground so the thin ends are placed at the point I want the taper to start?

..maybe like above but with one end at a time...( this is where my bet is)...

I'm kinda at a loss here.

Thank you.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Inuumarue

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you grind dual tapers?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
I've done it once by making a long taper sled and reversing the lam after each pass.  I've stopped that and moved to making 40 inch lams and splicing in the middle to get the correct length.  I don't have an auto-feed system so the shorter lam and sled are much easier to control and feed.

For leaving flats you can cover one side in pencil marks and make a mark where you want your flat to begin.  When you've ground off the pencil marks to the length you want then you're finished.  I go back by hand and round the transition a little with a block and sandpaper.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 05:12:00 PM »
Thank you for the response.
a long taper sled is an idea.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 07:19:00 PM »
My taper patterns are 36" long, I start with one limb tip end first and run it through the sander with the thick end of the pattern at the bow tip of the lam, so the end of the limb gets more wood removed than the riser end. When the bow lam comes off the thin end of the taper pattern, it no longer is touching the drum, and I just pull it through the sander and it never touches the drum. With each pass I can see the wood being removed more and more towards the riser. I keep adjusting the sander belt upwards a little  till I see a little bit of wood removed almost at the end of the riser section, pencil line... I alternate the lam end for end after every pass through the sander.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:20:00 PM »
Yep, just a single pencil line up the lam from the tip(which wlll be the thin end) to where you want the parallel portion to begin. At that point I draw a line across the lam. Mark both ends like that. Keep feeding it through and grinding thinner each time, as you watch the pencil line disappear. .. advancing toward your parallel section. When you get there, you're done.

This can be done either on a full length lam or half of one. If full length, just feed the lam in tip first and allow the other end to hang over the end of the sled. Mine is 40" long. Just be careful when you remove the sled from the sander that you keep it level, or maybe tilt it down on the aft end as it passes harmlessly under the drum.

On some of my tri-lams, I put considerable deflex in the center and would rather use one piece lams so I dont have worry about splices letting go.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 07:46:00 PM »
I've done both ways, the quicker way is to take a parallel of length of lam, mark center and mark each way from there distance that you want the parallel center of finished lam.

Then make a pair of tapers of desired tapers,measure the thin end and glue them to the parallel sled with the THIN ends to the marks you made off center .

Now make a short parallel lam the thickness of the thin ends of the tapers you just glued on and glue it to the portion that will be parallel on finished lam in center.

Now lay your taper to be ground on this sled and grind full length tapers all at once , really faster and easier...
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 07:51:00 PM »
Thanks guys.
One of the things I was worried about is the "hold down" rollers doing a number on the section of a lam hanging off the back of the sled.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
How are  the rollers going to hurt the lam????????????

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
They don't hurt them, but you have to run it thru, endo the lam and run it again.

For me I liked the custom sled so it only took one pass.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2014, 07:59:00 PM »
They've never bothered mine. I angle the sled up on my end as soon as it clears the drum so there is plenty of clearance between the drum and remaining/overhanging lam, so the hold down roller doesnt really push down on it or even touch it most times.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
I cut all my lams full lenth and taper from each end, just mark where you want the taper to end on each end. Not really hard to do at all but I use a planer to cut my tapers and that is the trick.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:
How are  the rollers going to hurt the lam????????????
I'm not sure how thick most sleds are.

My worry was that when the end of the sled goes past the spring loaded roller, the roller would be pressing down on the unsupported lam.

I don't know how much spring pressure there should be, but I do know it takes a little push to get a board started on this particular machine.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 09:24:00 PM »
Thanks a LOT for the replies Gents.

Lots of good info here.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2014, 11:29:00 PM »
My worry was that when the end of the sled goes past the spring loaded roller, the roller would be pressing down on the unsupported lam.

John, please go to bed..
 :)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2014, 02:29:00 AM »
I have the same concern with my machine it seems that the rollers go down far beyond the drum with considerable force   :dunno:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
Thanks for the vid Roy...and the tuck in.

I'd be doing full length tapers.
So I'd have another 3 foot or so of lam still in the sander when the sled comes out.

See how the roller presses down on your lam when it gets to the end...
I can see how it's no big deal with a short piece like you're using.

I was just worried the roller would put a bend in the lam..or worse try to break a thin one.
That's why I was thinking of using another "sled" almost like a gap filler under the lam in the latter unground part of the lam...just to take some of the stress off.

Just trying to think it thru..

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2014, 10:33:00 AM »
..anyway that was my question..

Kenny says it doesn't hurt em..question answered.   :thumbsup:

When you're gluing things to your sled...what kind of glue do ya use?

A dot of super glue maybe?
double sided tape seems less likely to splinter the lam when you take it out..but maybe doesn't hold well enough?

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »
I must say, I have never bothered trying to grind a dual taper lam.

I've found it fairly easy to just splice the 36" tapers together.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2014, 12:36:00 PM »
...lol..I don't wanna splice...    :rolleyes: ..too lazy..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©