Author Topic: First Selfbow con't...  (Read 267 times)

Offline Fleatrap1

• Trad Bowhunter
First Selfbow con't...
« on: April 05, 2014, 08:28:00 PM »
Well I have measured and whittled for days and my walnut selfbow looks great.  Unfortunately, looks won't send an arrow down range.  It's a 60" bow which should suit me well with my 27" draw.  I made it from a small 6"-8" tree and the curve of the young tree has made it difficult to tiller, the middle is still thick and the edges are thinner than I had planned.  Still looks good except for the top limb has a "snakey" shift and then corrects so that both nock ends are almost perfectly in line.  The bow wants to hinge at the bend which is about 5" above the 2" fade from the static handle.  Should I thin this 5" section way down to see if the hinge will go away or just grab a new piece of wood???  I can accept failure, but would rather not!!

Offline Fleatrap1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: First Selfbow con't...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:31:00 PM »
not sure how to post pictures but I would

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:04:00 PM »
Post pictures with photobucket.  Im afraid 60" is probably to short for walnut at a 27" draw. how wide are your limbs?

Offline Fleatrap1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 09:33:00 PM »
Limbs are 1 3/4" I will try to get some pics up when I have some time.  Even if I have to start again I have learned quite a bit on this first attempt!

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »
I think for a walnut bow of hunting weight you're bow is going to be too short to survive.

I'd try and tiller out the hinge. Theres no way a short bow like that will make it without a good tiller.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 09:12:00 AM »
I agree with LittleBen. If the stave were from a log you could go with 66" long. Since it is from a sapling and is heavily crowned it should be about 6*" ntn. At 60" it is way too short for a 27" draw.
Yes, you can thin it and safely draw to 24".
Jawge

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 02:30:00 PM »
Might survive as a bend through the handle at a lower draw weight .... maybe 35# or something.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©