Author Topic: Building my first glass laminate bow  (Read 480 times)

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
Building my first glass laminate bow
« on: April 08, 2014, 02:43:00 PM »
I know there have been several threads about this and I have used the search function and I'm not having much luck. I'm getting a little confused and frustrated.  I have my bow oven built and with the graciousness of Trux Turning I received a pattern for KennyM's R/D bow. I have the materials ready to cut out the form.

My questions now revolve around the rest of the supplies.  Is it simplest to order it all from Binghams?  I need the hardware for the form and the materials to build the bow.  I have wood for the riser.  Another TradGang member has offered to sell me the material for making a bow and I really appreciated that but it really isn't what I was looking for in colors, size etc.

So if I go the Binghams route what kit/s and what kind of glass do I need?  Do I skip the kit and order lams individually since I have riser material?  I really need to sit back and digest a little as the pressure of building for the bow swap is getting to me.  This first bow would not be for the swap so I will be needing materials for another bow soon also.

I hope this makes sense and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Building my first glass laminate bow
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 03:10:00 PM »
Binghams would not be a bad way to go, I try to order everything from tradgang sponsors , but you will need an air hose  , fittings, clamps for the form, laminations , glass and glue and binghams is about the best place to one stop shop for all that( it will also be nice because all of your material will arrive at the same time)
Once you have purchased everything you can then purchase your glass glue and laminations form TG sponsors such as big Jim's .  
I would also check with Kenny on what glass thinkness and total stack you need for your desired weight.

One last thought is three rivers, you can one stop shop there and they are a TG sponsor.

To also answer you question I don't think a kit is nesesary since you have a template and riser wood. You could get a kit in a different style of bow, say a flat bow or recurve , you would then get all the nesesary components and have 2 options of bows to make...
"Havin' such a good time Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally Golly, what a day"

Offline timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 03:17:00 PM »
X2
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 04:20:00 PM »
X3.........You can also call bringhams and tell them what you got and they will tell you what you need for whatever bow you want to build.( style,weigh,etc)

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. It doesn't take long for people to respond here when the call for some assistance goes out.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
bingham sells limb lamination kits--riser not included
to hit weight--know your riser length--

call them and they will get you close
Mike

Offline Trux Turning

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:32:00 PM »
Scott Bingham's is a good place to get the materials- hose and hose plugs- you can pick up the metal strapping hardware at your local store- it just not as fancy as Bingham's.
As for glass and lams I usually use .040 ul glass and one parallel lam, one .001 lam and a .002 lam- if you tell us what bow length you are building - your draw length and what you are wanting for poundage I'm sure  you will get some feed back for stack height.

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 12:12:00 AM »
I'm so glad I started asking questions.  The people here are so willing to help.  I'm used to doing things myself and not asking for anyone's help.  I frequently get chewed out by people close to me for being a little too independent and floundering by myself for too long and doing things the hard way.

I'm looking to build a 62" R/D from Kenny's form coming in close to #45 @ 28"

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Scott

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 12:30:00 AM »
Call Big Jim. Got materials from him fast and just what I wanted. His site is still being added to so call if you dont see what you need. He has hose, 'glass, lams, risers, glues, etc. Everything needed to build a bow. Seriously, give them a call. If Debbie nor Brent can answer your questions he will personally call you when he gets out of the shop!

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 12:53:00 AM »
Get with Kenny to get the recipe for that particular bow then get your supplies. For me a 45# 66" hill bow with .05 glass requires a stack of .415 but a  t/d r/d bow that is 66" and 45 # only needs  a stack of .270.  Every bow is different but the designer is the one who will give you the best information on hitting target weight.

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2014, 06:52:00 AM »

hope this worked

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2014, 06:56:00 AM »
This is off KENNEY M plans

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2014, 07:08:00 AM »
I not the brightest guy around,so if it works,I send you a email so you can print it off for future use.

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2014, 08:40:00 AM »
:)

Thank you everyone.  I guess the rest is up to me!

Online rmorris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 10:28:00 AM »
Scott, looks like you have what you need! Don't worry, we won't tell your family you asked any questions and you can go on looking like an independent big shot who nails their first glass bow. Hope you show us some pictures of your progress and best of luck!

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
Sounds like a plan. Haha

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2014, 09:35:00 PM »
Wait, if you drop 2" off the bow length, you drop 0.10" off your stack?!?! That's not supposed to be 0.010"?
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2014, 09:50:00 PM »
Yep, mistake on plans, bad proofreader!!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©