Author Topic: Impact of age on a bow  (Read 249 times)

Offline nleroux2

• Trad Bowhunter
Impact of age on a bow
« on: April 09, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
This may belong in pow-wow, but since it would likely be you makers who had the answers I posted here.
What, if any, would be the result of 10 years of use on a bow's strength, flexibility, and speed. I'm thinking specifically of a BW PL. (assuming proper use and care of course)
Thanks
I hunt; Therefore I eat well.
Currently in the freezer: Venison, Hog.

Offline Echatham

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Impact of age on a bow
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 07:35:00 AM »
Its probably on its last leg and could blow up at any moment.  Send it to me and ill dispose of it properly before someone gets hurt   :laughing:

I think with glass bows you got nothing to worry about.

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 08:40:00 AM »
I don't know about strength, flexibility, and speed, but durability can be an issue with use. How much of an issue, or when, depends on care, design and quality of construction. I've seen the glass fail on a few recurves right at the fadeouts/wedges on the bow's back.

Offline macbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
Interesting question.
Since it is a B/W I'd suggest contacting Toby or one of the owners and ask them. They should have some data.

I can't help but think that flexing a bow thousands of times over years has to have some effect.
United Bowhunters of Mo
Comptons
PBS
NRA
VET
"A man shares his Buffalo". Ed Pitchkites

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
I'm sure there's an effect, though I've shot bear recurves (including a magnum which is experiencing considerably more strain I would imagine) from the early to mid 70's, and wouldn't have been able to tell you that they were that old.  Seemed like new as far as I could tell.

so long as it's built well, and has been well taken care of, I think they can last a good amount longer than you'd expect.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »
I have glass lam recurves going back to the late 50's that I can't even begin to guess how many thousands of arrows they have seen. Some I shoot nearly every day, haven't ever lost a pound of draw weight, and would be hard pressed to tell that they are not new.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline nleroux2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 07:57:00 AM »
Thanks all. It's been lightly used and sitting for the last few years. I knew the use was light my concern was time. I know I don't work as well as I did ten years ago, strength fading, speed is slowing except when heading to the toilet which is more frequent all the time.

Sounds like a good bow wouldn't suffer my fate.
I think I'll buy.
I hunt; Therefore I eat well.
Currently in the freezer: Venison, Hog.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©