Author Topic: bandsaw size  (Read 323 times)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
bandsaw size
« on: April 17, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
Been looking at the Grizzly saws for a few years actually --- don't want to jump in to quickly!

Which saw seems to be best suited for bowyers..

14 or 17" and from 1hp or 1 1/2hp in the 14" or
2hp in the 17"..

Any input from saw owners would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Inuumarue

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bandsaw size
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »
I have a Grizzly 14" (G0555P) that does the job for me.  In all honesty I think it is perfect for everything I do with it.

That being said, if I had the funds for a 17" a few years ago when I made my purchase I would have gone for the 17".  From everything I've researched the 17s are a bit easier on on blades, especially the 3/4s blades that I use for rip sawing.

If you're thinking you're going to be ripping thick pieces of timber (12" or more) then you might want to consider going to the higher HP on the 14", but for the price you might be better served just to jump to the 17"

My two cents.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 11:06:00 AM »
I bought the 17" Grizzly and am glad I did. Get the cast trunions and wheels. Nothing stops it. One thing it does very well is if you run the Tri-Master blade for cutting glass, the blade lasts a long time. On the smaller wheels the Tri-master is too stiff and tends to break easily. Also there is nothing like a 1" rip blade for  cutting lams and veneers. The 14" is a very good saw but the 17" is just a little more versitle. Man I wish I could spell.   :bigsmyl:   Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline LESKEN2011

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 11:48:00 AM »
I upgraded from a 9" ryobi to the Grizzly 14" and haven't looked back. I don't use it for everything it is capable of, but rip backings and lay out bows with it with no problems. I don't regret the purchase. I caught it on sale or wouldn't have been able to afford it when shipping was added.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 01:01:00 PM »
I have a Grizzly 14" with a 1hp motor. It has handled everything I've used it for.  If you are planning to build bows on a regular basis get at least a 14" with 1hp motor.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
Both the 14" and the 17" 2 hp are the same price right now.I'm going to order the 17" this week.

Al

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
Only downside to the 17 that I see is it's size and weight would make it difficult to move..

I think the 17 weighs 480 as opposed to the 14 at 260ish...

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
I recently bought the 19 inch saw and I love it!
It's my second machine from Grizzly and the quality is great. For my 2 cents, I would get the largest tool my budget and my shop can handle. You can always put it on a mobile base to make moving it easy. Mine is big enough that I'm thinking of building a jig so I can use it to cut smaller logs into lumber.
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2014, 08:52:00 PM »
I just got the 14" anniversary model.  I only make self bows and it will do any thing I'll ever need.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 10:35:00 PM »

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 12:43:00 AM »
I have a 14" with a 1 HP motor and the roller base. It works more than great for my needs, and bandsaws are very safe to use.

Offline soy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 02:04:00 AM »
I have the 17" and love it...I put it on wheels for mobility and the blades go to the 1".... the only thing I don't like is the resaw fence is too high or too low I wish I could get one in a 1.5 or 2 inch aside from that it has never let me down from  10 inch Osage and elm logs or cutting lams   :thumbsup:

Offline canopyboy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 07:04:00 AM »
Originally posted by Pat B.:
Only downside to the 17 that I see is it's size and weight would make it difficult to move..

I think the 17 weighs 480 as opposed to the 14 at 260ish...
In general, heavier tools perform better. Mass is your friend for smooth cutting, and bigger machines usually have more cast iron and less stamped steel, flex less under load, etc.

Unless the slight size increase of the 17 doesn't fit in your shop/work area, you'd be better off with the 17. As mentioned, a mobile base will make moving either easy.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Professional Bowhunters Society

"The earth has its music for those who will listen." - Santayana

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©