Author Topic: Recurve #2  (Read 257 times)

Offline Nicon

• Trad Bowhunter
Recurve #2
« on: April 25, 2014, 07:06:00 AM »
So a year ago i tried to build a recurve and it was an epic fail. Bubbly as hell and didn't even get to the short string before it went BOOM. Swear to never build a recurve again. So here i go again...  :D
I used the same formula when last time only with less mistakes.

It's 61" ntn, around 46#@28(i was shooting for 40#...) Hoping to lose a few pounds when it's finished.

Some issues though. It has 0,2" positive tiller, but when i pull it on the tillering setup, the lower limb bends about 0,5" less. I pivoted the hook on on the string, where my middle finger would be. I shoot split. Pivot point might raise a little when finished. Should i be worried about the uneven bending or is it close enough, that it could be fixed nock height?
Also have a slight tracking problem. After pulling the string settles about 1/8 past center. Limbs don't seem to bee twisting so i hope it's just uneven nocks. Or is it?
But first i'd like to get the tiller as good as i can. So comments and advice about the tiller would be appreciated.  :)

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recurve #2
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »
You need to get the string to track straight before messing with tiller as you may need to take some off one side of a limb.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 09:02:00 AM »
Try this for the string travel.

Offline Nicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 10:40:00 AM »
I got it tracking by filing the nocks. Only took a few strokes. Still might be off by 1/32 or so. Bit difficult to measure with flemish string.

Offline LittleBen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 10:52:00 AM »
Looks good to me but what the hel do I know ... nothing about glass thats for sure

Offline bornofmud

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
Looks pretty darn perfect to me.  Seems like it's certainly in the range to be able to fine tune with nock placement.

Offline Nicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 01:39:00 AM »
It's time to finish the bow! How would tru oil work on black glass?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©